Latest edition of Model Rail...

The days are gone when I bought a whole magazine just to read one article however I am intrigued by the concept of remotoring the Heljan 47. Can someone please explain briefly what was done and why? If there is sufficient justification I might buy the whole magazine. TIA

(kim)

Reply to
kim

I thought that was odd. As I understood it, one of the selling points of Heljan was the quality of the mech...

The remotor consists of just that. Removing the Mashima motor and replacing with an equivalent Canon (with new flywheels). The suggestion in the article was that with Heljan you get good 'uns and bad 'uns and if you have the latter, remotoring is worthwhile.

The cl110 to 104 conversion is good for comedy value... The result completely fails to capture the angular look of the 104...

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

Personally, I am amazed at the concept of remotoring what must be almost a brand new model for anyone who owns one.

Returning it to the retailer and demanding a good one is more worthwhile. Even if you have owned the model for a while, you may have up to six years to make a claim for damages against the retailer, regardless of what the manufacturers warranty may say. See

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

The same could be said about people who weather, super-detail and any number of other 'improvements'....

Ok in theory, in practice the model would have to be maintained in line with the instructions and you would have to show proof (dealer service invoice perhaps).

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

I didnt know they sold this mag in parts, I always have to buy a whole one

Bob

Reply to
Bob Heath

From the same page:-

Q3. Are all goods supposed to last six (or five) years? No, that is the limit for bringing a court case in England and Wales (five years from the time of discovery in Scotland's case). An item only needs to last as long as it is reasonable to expect it to, taking into account all the factors. An oil filter would usually not last longer than a year but that would not mean it was unsatisfactory.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

"Adrian" wrote

The cl110 to 104 conversion is good for comedy value... The result completely fails to capture the angular look of the 104...

Adrian

Hmm, I thought that! The undersize box on the roof is way out (think its the black panel that is too small) but I can't understand why? I have the same Chris Leigh castings and mine looks ok?

I also can't undertand why they go to all the trouble to remove the bulkhead and place windows in directly behind the cab? If your gonna do this, you need to do it with all them uprights at the side of the corridors as the only full one is in the brake compartment. all the rest hae windows as per the cab!

Reply to
Andy Sollis- Churnet Valley model Railway Dept.

I wouldn't do that. The Blue Pullman masterclass issue sold for five times what I originally paid for it (plus postage). If I'd known at the time I'd have cleared the entire shelf at W.H. Smith. Heaven only knows what the Hogwart's Castle issues are worth today?

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Nigel Burkin is working on a remotored Hornby Class 50 mechansism for a Lima Class 60 which sounds a bit like overkill. See:-

then scroll down nearly half way.

A bit like remotoring the Lima Class 20. Useful to know if the worse comes to the worse.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

I don't have a problem with the minor differences between the way 1st generation DMU's looked, it's the abrupt way they start and stop. See my letter at:-

(kim)

Reply to
kim

The context was remotoring something that had a faulty motor and should not have been sold in the first place. I don't think you can consider lack of weathering or detailing to be a reason to return an item as faulty.

Reply to
manatbandq

Lima motors were rarely faulty but who didn't want to re motor them, what is a better motor, a Mashima 'can' motor or something along the lines of a coreless (RGxx) type motor ?

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

wrote

I agree with what you say, but not *all* faults show up at the point of sale, although the vast majority of problems are detectable at that stage.

There are, however, some people out there who consider the job of remotoring something, a task worth doing for the sake of it. You don't know for sure that the purchaser didn't buy the loco at a knock-down price in the knowledge that it was faulty.

I've got two or three customers who are happy to buy duff stuff, purely because they enjoy messing.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

If you re-read it, you'll see the 60's drive consists of 1x cl 50 motor bogie (available as spares for about a tenner IIRC) powered by the Modeltorque motor. Seems perfectly reasonable to me, if my standard Lima motor is anything to go by.

Three pancakes left in my house... half-finished projects (cl.31, 60 and 92) being finished off and will be stuck on eBay

Reply to
Ben C

LOL!

Yeah, I saw that too. I cannot believe that article made it to print, the end result was horrendous!!

I have to say, the standard of modelling contributions since Darren Sherwood "left" has been pretty poor on the whole. Did anyone think that Chris Leigh's rock- faced cliff even looked like rock? The reviews are also shockingly "glossy" at times.

I really am considering not renewing my subscription but I feel that I need to keep in touch via one of the monthly comics, mainly for the ads and the odd article I suppose. I just will not buy the Modeller, it's even worse on all the above points.

From the usual viewing angles, of course .

db.

Reply to
Dirk Belcher

Yes, I was aware of that. My point was that the loco was using the ATC unit in place of Hornby's standard Class 50 motor. Am waiting to read if this yields a significant improvement in the performance of the Hornby mechanism as opposed to the Lima mechanism.

You can convert the remaining Lima's to twin bogie drive. I can supply the relevant web page if you need it?

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Be careful about advertising the auctions, the u.r.m.r posting police (Jerry) will jump down your throat ;-)

Reply to
Rich Mackin

Ahh fair enough.

No need, I'll be getting shot of the things once they've finished in the paint shop. I'm aiming for a pancake free railway! Thanks for the offer though.

Hornby have nearly finished their 31 and have a 60 planned, so thats two replacements in the pipeline, presuming they aren't horribly mis-shapen! The 92 will have to wait, Class 50 bogies is an idea but I've enough to be getting on with at the moment.

LOL! I won't be saying anything further about them on here, I get fed up of the adverts myself.

Reply to
Ben C

In the current parlance - It Rocked....NOT!

Darren Sherwood makes a welcome return in the next issue I think with a one-off on building the JLTRT Peak...

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian