January Edition Of Model Rail

I Don't know how many of you take the Model Rail Magazine, but if you have seen it, what do you think of the Paper used on the January Edition.
I've already complained to Chris Leigh about it, and apparently he's not happy about it, but was told by the powers that be to lump it.
--

Regards

Keith Lanham
Keith Lanham wrote:

Did he say if it's a permanent change? I seem to recall there being a supply problem with quality paper a few months ago but would have expected it to be fixed by now.
MBQ

No it's here to stay (Unless something changes), it's purely down to cost. I for one would sooner pay an extra couple of pence and get it on reasonable paper, than have something that will fall apart after a few months.
Keith
Keith Lanham wrote:

The paper does seem to have the look & feel of chip paper, but to be honest it still seems to reproduce photos quite well, so I can live with it. As for the content, well, maybe it's just me, but this month both BRM & MR seem to have been cobbled together with odds & ends laying around the editorial office . Most unimpressed. :-(
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com said the following on 08/12/2005 08:38:

Hmmmm..... I don't get BRM because it always feels that way, but I too thought MR was a bit un-inspiring this month. I tend to look at it overall as you can't always get something of interest every month, but there seem to be too many consecutive months like that with MR at the moment. What happened to Chris Leigh's Aster "Lion" series? Did he ever get it finished?
I also get the much-maligned RM, and I still think it is the best "mass-market" model railway magazine around, and I have been buying it for 24 years, from school days. MRJ is the best model rail magazine of the lot though!
--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk /
Paul Boyd wrote:

I stopped subscribing to RM about 3 years ago, I was fed up with the narrow gauge predominance; however I've now bought 3 of the last 4 issues & found them more interesting than BRM for sure, as you say I don't expect every issue to be brimming with useful, relevant articles.
I've probably bought about 20% of the MRJs issued over the years, without doubt it features the best quality modelling, I just find it rather 'dry' to read. OTOH Model Rail's layout is so 'busy' it gives me a headache...

Yes, when RM get away from self-indulging in narrow gauge they can produce a good magazine. I can't understand why they have this narrow-gauge fetish - it's always been a minority interest, whether prototype or model.
John.
John Turner said the following on 08/12/2005 12:09:

Fortunately for me, narrow gauge is an interest of mine, and I do like a lot of the narrow gauge layouts and industrial layouts they feature, of any scale except the identikit OO9 layouts that often show up. Personally, I work in what has been called S4n2 - see my website!
--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk /

can produce a

narrow-gauge fetish -

like a

feature, of

The other thing to remember is that a lot of modelling techniques are common across the gauges and scales, so unless the article is just a list of models owned with a track plane and pictures (or that is what the reader wants), there could well be much of interest to someone even though the scale / gauge is not.
--
Regards, Jerry.
Location - United Kingdom.

No-one is suggesting otherwise Jerry, but the tedium of identikit locos and stock (which Paul so eloquently identified) is tedious to say the least.
John.

are
locos and

least.
Hmm, I'm not quite sure what you mean by 'identikit locos' but isn't there tedium in yet another GWR branch line or another 'sector period' modern image layout, how many GWR Pannier Tanks or class 66's diesels does one need to see before they become tedious?...
I suspect that RM is trying to break away from the tedium of the above in covering narrow gauge.
--
Regards, Jerry.
Location - United Kingdom.
Paul Boyd wrote:

I am full of admiration for those who build historically plausible narrow-gauge layouts and manage to resist representing NG as something comically quaint. I would love to see "Borth-y-Gest", which featured in Railway Modeller recently, but I think I shall scream if faced with another "witty" pseudo-Welsh punning name, and there really should be a ban on spiral loops.
I am always surprised at how many narrow-gauge models represent a line in the preservation era (seemingly in a perpetual 1970s) which yet manage to enjoy a thriving mineral traffic. Of course people are entitled to model anything their imagination suggests, but I would suggest that for historical plausiblity a narrow gauge line on the British mainland after WW2 should be either passenger-only or freight-only. (OK, someone will mention the Talyllyn and the Ravenglass & Eskdale - I shouldn't have started on this, should I?)
What I really want to say is that I'd like to see more narrow gauge layouts set in their real heyday which was before 1914.
Andy
On 09/12/2005 10:21, Andy Kirkham said,
> I am full of admiration for those who build historically plausible

I have seen Borth-y-Gest at Scaleforum one year, and I model to the same track standards. That layout is as good in the flesh as it appeared in RM. I have exchanged a few ideas with Paul Holmes - there are extremely few people following this standard! If you put a blanket ban on spiral loops, you are excluding the excellent, albeit OO9, layout of Dduallt (pronounced Thee-acht) by the Wallers, but I do know exactly what you mean. I really don't like those totally implausible rabbit-warren layouts, but in this hobby it is each to their own. But yes, those ridiculous pseudo-Welsh names belong to a different era. There are plenty of real Welsh names to choose from!

My narrow gauge models are based in the early 1970s. I have a few dozen coaches in build, and about, oh, zero freight wagons. Have I got the ratio about right? :-)

I would agree with that, despite modelling 1970s. I find as I get older (I'm almost 40 now!!!), my interests go further back. The layout-in-progress featured on my website will be based at some indeterminate era before the war (either war!), but there will be running rights for newer stock. This layout is a test bed for these track standards, as a prelude to Porthmadog Harbour Station in FSNG (hence the three-way stub point). The track plan is fully Templotted, but a little ambitious just now. My web pages on this are a bit behind, I've noticed, so I'll have to correct that over the weekend.
--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk /
Paul Boyd wrote:

I shall follow developments with interest!
Andy
John Turner wrote:

Whilst I'm in a "be nice to the boys from Beer" frame of mind I suppose I should point out that they were producing their magazine on an annual CD-ROM years before anyone else bothered, roughly half the price Model Rail want for their incomplete one as well. Pity about the proprietary file format :-/.
I'm almost tempted to re-subscribe, even if they don't do any offers (I'm aware of) on annual subscriptions, unlike BRM's half price offers or MR's substantial discounts.

You only need to heavily discount a product which doesn't sell readily.
John.
John Turner wrote:

I wouldn't call MRs current offers substantial or heavily discounted. The best I can find is first three months half price as offered in the MR International supplement. Otherwise it's full price with a "free" Draper measuring set or a few quid off with an acrylic weathering paint set.
If there's anything better, please post a pointer!
MBQ

I was quoting snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com who said:-

John.
John Turner wrote:

To be honest folks I can't recall how much I'm paying for Model Rail at the moment, when my susbscription is close to running out they send a letter saying ' add another 6 months to your subscription and save 30%' or something like that.
I've never seen BRM offer 50% off in the public domain, but this seems to be normal to entice ex subscribers back. It worked on me, even if I am regretting it :-/.
John, I agree in principle that you don't need to discount a product thats sells well, but I think both MR and BRM have audited circulations of around 30,000 : not sure about RM.

Double that figure and add a bit I'd guess.
John.