10 year old AC

My window unit quit one day. The next day it worked again. That night the motor started squeaking and the next morning the switch was still on but the motor wouldn't run.

I have already bought a replacement ac unit but I was wondering if the old one would be good for anything?

I am guessing that it would cost as much to repair as the new one cost.

Reply to
Kilowatt

Do you have a boat?

I'm *sure* you're correct. I had someone look at my thru-the-wall unit ten years ago, and declared the compressor shot (it would freeze up and kick the breaker). He wanted about $500 to replace the compressor, while a new unit was about $700. Repairing such things *rarely* makes economic sense.

...of course ten years later the unit is still working. I just don't let the fan cycle, so it clears any condensation from the coils.

Reply to
K Williams

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 21:35:15 -0700 K Williams wrote: | Kilowatt wrote: | |> My window unit quit one day. The next day it worked again. That |> night the motor started squeaking and the next morning the switch |> was still on but the motor wouldn't run. |> |> I have already bought a replacement ac unit but I was wondering if |> the old one would be good for anything? | | Do you have a boat? | |> I am guessing that it would cost as much to repair as the new one |> cost. | | I'm *sure* you're correct. I had someone look at my thru-the-wall | unit ten years ago, and declared the compressor shot (it would | freeze up and kick the breaker). He wanted about $500 to replace | the compressor, while a new unit was about $700. Repairing such | things *rarely* makes economic sense. | | ...of course ten years later the unit is still working. I just | don't let the fan cycle, so it clears any condensation from the | coils.

Sounds like possibly a low refrigerant charge is making things worse.

Reply to
phil-news-nospam

Quite likely. However, it's going to run until it drops. Given it's age (17-18 years; the age of the house) it will have R12 refrigerant and thus it's not worth fixing. Every year it continues to run it is *saving* me money.

Reply to
K Williams

A newer Energy Star unit is going to have a lower cost of ownership. A new window A/C is going to be more energy efficient than a decade old unit.

Reply to
AC/DCdude17