Lost key to 1977 Datsun 280Z?

well, if it were locked from the inside with a key ? the key would have to be left in all the time. (incase of an emergency exit) must be some other reason it installed like that ? going to another door all the time. is NOT very user-friendly :-)

Reply to
Key

agree...

Reply to
Key

"Billy B. Edwards Jr." snipped-for-privacy@thelockman.com wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@thelockman.com...

thanks for the info. learn something everyday I am luckey enough to wake up !

g'day BBE

Reply to
Key

this WHOLE CITY is a safety code issue.. new business 3 blocks away, the main power line is barely 12 feet off the parking lot new businesses with exit signs on the door and KEY locks on inside.. grrrr... but, this house is..40 years old or so.. BC... (before codes) --Shiva--

Reply to
me

How's this one. I once called on a house where the couple were obviously avid jigsaw puzzle addicts. Not that they said anything but the fact that every wall and ceiling had been covered with them courtesy of gallons of liquid nails seemed to support the theory.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

Reply to
Edward Hennessey

history.. building inspector in another city, 'made the news' basically for stupidity.. got royally fired.. so, who got hired here?

if you buy a lot and build NEW, you dont have much of a problem or checkup.. if the building is 'used', then you WILL jump through bells and hoops to bring it to 'current code'.. cost a working restaurant hee, that merely changed hands, $25k for 'plumbing problems' that suddenly appeared, even tho the building wasnt a year old..

yes, did, that IS interesting.. gonna go talk to the man hopefully tomorrow and take tha partially apart.. the outside handle does have my interest..

--Shiva--

Reply to
me

Stamped into the metal? Stamped on with ink? Stamped on in ink (dot matrix)?

Reply to
Bob DeWeese, CML, CJS

OK think about this when you get there. If you have a lock designed to have an inside and an outside knob, and the outside knob is supposed to lock when you push the button on the side of the door, then you are supposed to have a split spindle and hub. The button only locks the outside half of the split hub.

It is unclear if you have a grip handle on the inside of the door or a knob. If the lock has a grip handle that is supposed to be on the outside and the knob on the inside with a two piece spindle.

Free wheeling in one direction sounds like the cam lobe is worn off the hub. This is the occasion to section in a piece of brass salvaged from your junk bin and reform the proper height and geometry.

About the only real nasty bugger to fix on these is if the cast iron case is cracked real bad but that seldom happens.

If you get everything up to snuff you should be able to leave with a comment like OK, She is good for another 50 to 100 years.

It would not supprise me if this lock had a telescoping mortise cylinder. If that has never been apart there is a pin you need to remove. These a kind of neat if they were not a PITA to service, but don't you dare think about tossing it, once you get the shell off the job is straight forward. If you do need to service the cylinder consider retaining the ball bearings and use flat bottomed combination pins. They work so much smoother.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

my point exactly.

all the reason it should be brought up to code.

g'day Shiva

Reply to
Key

please post the outcome..

Reply to
Key

I've seen all three. The early ones(1970s or so) used to be mechanically stamped impression, cut into the metal.

Later, imprinted with ink. Black ink.

Not sure I've seen dot matrix, but I'm gussing they do use em.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Thank you Shiva, and Key, and the others who responded with helpful advice.

I got the code from the glove box and did visit a local locksmith who made me a key. And it worked like a charm.

I am very grateful.. Thanks.

John

Reply to
johnandjanet

Hey, if I could afford it I'd be seriously tempted to go that route. As it is, I'll have to settle for (eventually) just a few fully panelled rooms, and even those will probably wind up having to be manufactured lumber.

Reply to
Joe Kesselman

you are welcome John.. glad that little sticker was still there and had the correct code.

Reply to
Key