dissasembling acetylene reg - got stumped

Hi all

I cant see how to lift the rubber diaphragm without tearing it. Or it is supposed to be torn and a new one replaced? Any trick to lift it away?

regards,

Mongke

Reply to
mongke

Not knowing the specifics of your brand of regulator, chances are it is just "stuck" to the metal, and a small dental pick or similar tool run around the outside of the sealing lip should loosen it up enough to lift it up out. Ken.

Reply to
Anonymous

Well I finally took it today to the shop. The guy gave me a compassionate smile, unscrewed the body and then proceded to remove the diaphragm with the point of a knife, the same thing I was so afraid of doing. It was very embarrasing.

regards,

Mongke

Reply to
mongke

Yes he did find tiny metal particles on the seat. Back at home I checked the thread of the cylinder valve. There were particles, too stuck to be removed by blowing. Weird as the cylinder came checked from the supplier and with a thermoshrinkable seal around the valve. I cleaned the valve thread with a brush and the regulator is now working.

Regards,

Mongke

Reply to
mongke

Nothing to be embarrased about.... live and learn. I guess it's better to be on the conservative side rather than just bull into something and destroy it "beyond" repair. Did he find some dirt on the seat, or did he just give it back to you after the diaphragm was removed? I assume you are back "up and running" again. Ken.

Reply to
Anonymous

That's not embarrasing. What would be embarrasing is taking one in that you have butchered up and they ask "what in hell happened to this?"

You did the right thing.

Jim Kovar Vulcan, Mi

Reply to
Jim Kovar

At least it wasn't teflon tape. Have him install fine brass screens on the input sides of both regulators, where the CGA nipple threads into the regulator body with the pipe threads. This will prevent repeat episodes.

Jim

jim rozen

Reply to
David Billington