DMC mill

A friend just acquired a Defiance DMC Mill and is having a hard time finding any type of manuals. Someone removed several components from the control cabinet. He would like to see what is missing and start the rebuild.

It has a Precise SC3062 Spindle motor on it, AC asynchronous

3-phase, 2 pole induction motor. The frequency rang of the motor is 167 - 1000 Hz and a voltage range of 22 - 200VAC .

The Spindle cooling pump, type 7136, is gone as is the Frequency converter type PCS410. He would like to start with getting the spindle up and running then find servo drivers and add mach 4. Any ideas on the proper VFD replacement, or coolant pump? The original pump was rated at 400W @ 60000 RPM.

Reply to
David Lesher

I wouldn't worry about the spindle just yet. You can always replace the spindle. Check out the mechanical bits. If the ways and screws are good and the machine is square, then gut it out and save what you can. 60000 RPM!!! I figured that when I read 1000Hz. .5 HP is significant, but at lower RPMs its nothing at all. My experience with high speed spindles is they like being used at about 1/4 of the power they claim or less. I've got three 24K spindle machines and a couple similar spindles I use on other machines as companions. My 800W spindle kinda complains at more than 1/4 hp load. Its kind of the minimum size for me.

Look it over carefully. You may find a lot of the components are off the shelf bits and pieces. You might not find the manual for the mill, but if you can find the manuals for the parts you can figure it out.

Reply to
Bob La Londe