Do replaceable lathe ways have any value?

I have a 20" by 14' Lodge and Shipley lathe that I am parting out.

I am mostly paying attention to parts that tend to break when machines are moved, and need to be replaced, such as handles, taper attachment base etc. The usual stuff.

But, interestingly, this lathe has replaceable ways, they mount in the slots on the bed. These have very little wear near the headstock, no wear beyond that, and can be always installed with the unworn side towards the chuck. (the lathe was used for an unusual roll threading operation and that is why the ways have little wear).

Am I assuming correctly that I can, eventually, find a buyer for those? I will have to ask for a lot of money since waiting for a long time is not cheap for me.

Ignoramus32174

Yes, I'm sure that several square feet of scrap-value-cost iron in your own (paid-for) building cost you plenty of cash out of pocket, don't they, Ig?

Long Live Capitalism!

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Yes, capitalism is awesome.

I paid $425 for that lathe, estimated weight 10k lbs.

But I had to remove it, bring my 15k forklift etc.

The question is, should I try to save those ways, I am thinking yes but not 100% sure.

Ignoramus32174

Pictures of the lathe are here

Ignoramus32174

Pictures of the lathe are here

Ignoramus32174

Well, the question is how many of those L&S lathes were made, and how many still exist? Would anybody looking to rebuild such a lathe ever be able to find that you had the parts? Finally, would these parts be something somebody could make up on a surface grinder, or are they pretty intricate?

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Exactly the right questions. I think that they are hardened, long, and probably not that cheap to make, but certainly can be manufactured.

Ignoramus32174

If its in that good of shape..why the hell are you parting it out?????

Gunner

  1. Lie
Gunner

It was missing major components in the carriage and cross slide. Like I said, they were not using it in a normal way.

Ignoramus12882