oiler

What do you call the little brass oling points in lathes etc with a ball bearing in them and where do you get them?

Reply to
F Murtz

Are you talking about Zerks?

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I dont think so, These things are used with an oil can with a small nozzle which pushes the ball down.

Reply to
F Murtz

Oil hole covers

Tom Gardner

Look about half way down

  1. Lie
Gunner

Oh..and do yourself a favor and file a nice V across the tip of your oiler That way when you press the ball down..there is a place for the oil to go around the ball

  1. Lie
Gunner

They are called "ball oilers."

Denis G.

I bought them at a local industrial supply house, before it closed and became a day care center.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

DanG

Now there's a question to ask:

How many oil cups does a child have?

;)

technomaNge

Reply to
technomaNge

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

What is your job at ftc.gov?

As the industrial areas turned into shopping malls I asked people what they thought of it, being careful not to preload my question with an expected response. I was surprised by how much bitter and snobbish resentment toward manufacturing I heard. In general the well-educated people I asked had no idea that making things generates value, but a service economy only redistributes and dilutes it. I learned that in jr high civics class with the westward expansion of the railroads as the example of primary and secondary jobs. IIRC they planned new towns based on one railroad job supporting 8-11 people, the worker's family plus one other.

Perhaps high schools should mention the concept of entropy as it applies to economic activity, or just teach the ability to distinguish cause from effect. We had critical thinking drummed into our little heads back in the 50's and 60's but I don't see much evidence of it now on the Net. jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Oh, I don't have any oil cans with spouts that haven't already been "veed" by poking them in or at something that was moving.

Pete Stanaitis

----------------

Reply to
Pete S

Similar thoughts occurred to me yesterday as I watched my son, his son and my great grandchildren playing with some of my old erector sets in a learn-teach mode for several hours.

Pete Stanaitis

---------------

P.S. No one was killed during a video game for many hours and the little ones learned "lefty loosy, righty tighty" quite well.

Reply to
Pete S

Very well said!!

Gunner

  1. Lie
Gunner

I don't agree that the service economy dilutes the value of money. If a mechanic repairs my car and keeps it from going to the junk yard, it's similar to manufacturing (or re-manufacturing) a durable good. He make the car last longer and brings value to my dollar. For what you imply, I do agree that the value of money is only as good as what it can exchange for goods (and services).

Regarding "enthropy", applying laws of the physical sciences to those involving human activity (economics) is fraught with problems.

Reply to
Denis G.

Thermodynamics is a surprisingly good descriptor of statistical group behavior, phenomena such as activation energy and local minima compare well, though I don't claim it has predictive power or memory elements like some do:

It's not too different from the mathematical energy-flow-based science of Ecology.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins