Do these lathes look used?

Will do, Terry.

Why not? Yeah, setup might be a bear, but the cutting should be a straightforward piece of cake.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Could you regrind a boring bit into a one-flute angular cutter?

-jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I chose a surface grinder rather than a shaper to fill my last bit of open floor space. It can make custom single-point angular cutters that run in the mill.

I rough then nearly to shape quickly, hog out the grooves on the work, then grind them precisely and take the finish cuts.

-jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Not sure what you mean ... but I have used my small boring bar to shave a keyway into a bore . Hand stroking ...

Reply to
Terry Coombs

You apparently don't realize just how isolated we are here ... chances of finding one nearby are pretty slim . But I have a couple hundred pounds of aluminum scrap all processed into ingots just awaiting a project and a 3 speed motor with control . I started the patterns one time , then just quit for some reason . Mighta been time ...and I have a lot more of that now .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Oh , oh , oh , I get what you mean by angular cutter . Those will work for a shaft , but not so much for a keyway in a bore .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

I meant these, modified to cut dovetails.

I was trying to think of how to secure the new Variac carbon brush in the holder and considered dovetailing it like a gun sight, but the carbon is only 1/4" thick and my 60 degree cutter is 3/8". I made a test block, milled a rectangular slot 0.004" smaller than the brush, chamfered the edges and pressed it in with the milling machine vise. So far so good.

Back when Enco had retail stores I bought a 1/8" keyway broach that I used for everything by making the bushings and keys as needed, ie milling the keys 1/8" wide for the broached hub side and whatever fit the slot on the shaft side.

This is what a full set contains:

-jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

And I just ordered the book on ebay , under 11 bucks delivered .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

I didn't see any there last month, so I forgot, yeah. Mea culpa.

Ayup, x2.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

The original request for the files/harddrive was for knife fighting and survival/apocaplypse, if you remember back that far. It _was_ 2 years ago. +

Yeah, that kinda sucks.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

And here I thought you were just gettin' artistic with your English.

Reply to
Larry Jaques