What are these bench lathes used for

You can see several "bench lathes", which look like motor driven lathe chucks where the whole assembly clamps to the table. What are these things used for, does anyone know.

Ignoramus4834

Speed Kings? SpeedDeBurr? Or similar?

They are primarily are for deburring, polishing and so forth. Handy to have, but not an essential to the home shop if you already have a lathe or mill.

Gunner, who has used them, but never felt the need for one at home. "Lenin called them "useful idiots," those people living in liberal democracies who by giving moral and material support to a totalitarian ideology in effect were braiding the rope that would hang them. Why people who enjoyed freedom and prosperity worked passionately to destroy both is a fascinating question, one still with us today. Now the useful idiots can be found in the chorus of appeasement, reflexive anti-Americanism, and sentimental idealism trying to inhibit the necessary responses to another freedom-hating ideology, radical Islam"

Gunner Asch

If I'm looking at the right one, it kind of looks like what I've heard referred to as a "speed lathe", commonly used for hand deburring with abrasive sticks and bits of emery cloth. Particularly if you have some precision features on a part that you don't want to subject to tumbling or vibratory polishing. --Glenn Lyford

Reply to
Glenn Lyford

Now Id certainly be interested in lot 150 and 151...keyway broachs.. if you manage to snag em.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

All of that is what I snagged. Lot 150 is something else entirely, manual pipe benders.

Ignoramus4834

Yo, Iggy. Those are elementary versions of speed lathes. Others have explained what they were for -- I haven't seen them in use in several decades. With CNC, most minor secondary operations are conducted in the first chucking today.

Hardinge made some really sexy ones that had a short bed extending away from the chuck. They made various attachments for them that allowed you to do machine-controlled secondary operations, as well as hand-controlled ones, and they were quite commonly used for things like chamfering, threading, etc. back before production lathes were NC. The Hardinge speed lathes bridged a gap between primary production lathes and full second-op lathes.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

How much for #151?. Ill figure shipping seperately.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

I will let you kno once I bring them home.

Ignoramus4834

How will you pay for them? Shouldn't you be fulfilling your obligations to the people who were kind enough to keep you alive first?

Reply to
rangerssuck

Ill be waiting. When you get around to it..the sizes would be marvelous.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

I have to make a living so I can pay them. Proper tools allow me to make a living.

But then...since I became a Liberal 3 weeks ago...do I really need to? It really would be out of charector to pay, as a Liberal, wouldnt it?

Yes..it would.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Iggy

I would be interested in a 4 jaw chuck with an L-1 taper if you have one in that lot. 8-12 inches.

CarlBoyd

Reply to
CarlBoyd

I will see what they are in a couple of days.

Ignoramus4834

Oh give us all a break. You brag about all the great tools and equipment you have, and how highly skilled you are. If you can't make a living with all that, you're either lying about having the tools, or you're lying about the skills.

Hearing about some shiny new tool and saying "I gotta have it so I can make a living" is the kind of bullshit someone tells their wife when they want a new toy. Hearing it from someone who is hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt, well that's just nauseating.

Look, there's a bid out in my area to build a new off-ramp from a highway. Now, I could look at that and say, "I gotta go buy some heavy equipment so I can bid on this great job," or I can make a healthy living with the tens of thousands of dollars worth of electronic, computer and mechanical equipment that I already own.

Would it be fun to go out and buy a bulldozer? Hell yes, it would. Would it be the responsible thing to do? Of course not.

So, Gunner, how many dollars worth of work have you passed up in the last month because you didn't have this shiny new set of broaches (or whatever it was you're looking to buy)? How much work do you have queued up waiting for the new tools?

Why don't you try acting like a grown up man instead of a spoiled child. It may be hard, but it may actually make you feel good.

And don't start with the Liberal vs. Conservative bullshit either. There are plenty of responsible people on both sides of the aisle. I am a liberal. I pay my taxes. I pay my bills. If it weren't for the responsible tax payers, you would not have received the medical care that kept you alive. Do you really think you're that much better than everyone else?

I am truly sick of your bullshit, you pitiful fraction of a man.

Reply to
rangerssuck

You live where again? No Depression in your state eh? Need me to go over the listing of clients who went out of business since Jan 21?

Fascinating.

So you want a CNC machine tool tech to work with a pair of vise-grips and a pointed rock, right?

I dont do roads. I dont do computers for a living. I do however repair machine tools for a living. So you dont think I should have the tools?

What do I need a bulldozer for?

None. In the last year..Ive probably missed out on $300-400 because I didnt have them.

Blink blink...right...

No. I am however a Liberal and as such..you working stiffs get to pay my bills while I lounge here on the Riveara with a bevy of pretty girls applying lotion to my wounds.

Feel better now? Want a kitten? Ive got about 10 of them Id be happy to send you. Save me a lot of work trying to adopt them out. How would you like em shipped? And that large brown thing..is named Ike. He is mostly a german shepard. He was abused as a puppy by a drunken Mexican who broke his hind leg, before someone broke HIS leg with a baseball bat and took the pup. He means well..but speak softly around him..if you dont..he pees and runs.

Oddly enough..the two of you might make a good pair.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

:

Very classy. Have you paid your taxes yet?

Reply to
rangerssuck

:

Y'know, Gunner, trying to have a conversation with you is like playing with a Magic Eight Ball. It only has a few things to say, you shake it up and a random phrase comes out. It's absolutely useless trying to make any sense out of your drivel. You can't or won't read what other people write. You only respond with either total nonsense, or with endless quotes from others. Very nice that you have mastered the art of cut and paste. Now if you could only master the art of thinking.

See ya.

(and thanks, I already have two adopted cats)

Reply to
rangerssuck

No. Got an address handy for the critters?

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Oddly enough...trying to have a conversation with you is like trying to engage a retarded boy in converstation. Its certainly simple, but the conversation gets boring after a while, because its the same converstation one has with dozens of retards all in a row.

I read and respond to what others write. Unfortunately for them...I consider them (and you) to be like minded retards who have little to say, all say the same buffoonery and all in the same fashion. Blither, followed up with anger and threats from them (and you) is the average conversation. And out of boredom I often times prolong the discussion before driving the sword in behind your shoulder. Hey..bullfighters do it and get roses tossed to them. I get a pat on the shoulder from those I respect. Which is good enough for me!

So you are turning down my offer of Ike? And I already told him he was getting a home and a partner and had his bones packed and his teeth flossed. Now Im going to have to wait up all night and make sure he doesnt gnaw through an artery in his leg and kill himself. You selfish clod!!

Gunner

Gunner Asch