A little splurge (to be used for the die cart)

To be used for this cart:

My question is, how would I attach these casters so that they would be
removable. The present casters (not too great) are welded on and I
would prefer to change that. There are several ways of doing that and
I want to know which is better.
Ignoramus15609
Quickly removable, like take them off tomorrow for some project or purpose and put them back on in a few days, or removable as in keeping the casters when its time to part with the cart?
Grind welds to remove old casters, fab mounting plates with hole pattern (tapped would be preferred) matching new casters, weld plates to cart in place of old casters, bolt new casters to plates....this assumes the cart is built from angle and there is no flat surface under casters now. If there is drill and tap for new casters.
regards Paul
Reply to
Paul

Well, i think I would say removable as in held by bolts.
There is no flat surface now, i will try to use some plate.
Conveniently, from the same auction I brought home four 4x6x1/2" plates, though somewhat beveled. I hope that they will work for bolts.
Ignoramus15609
I normally mark, drill, and tap a piece of 1/4" steel to fit the caster plate, then weld that on. Allow enough extra metal on the edge so that your tapped holes are clear of the frame. Cap screws attach the caster. I like to mount the casters inside the frame so I don't skin my ankles on them, but that is a less stable location.
Pete Keillor
Reply to
Pete Keillor
Pete, thanks. This cart is pretty wide compared to its height, so stability is not a big issue. I will try to do just what you say, though I have some 1/2" plates that may be big enough.
Ignoramus15609
That should work just fine...1/2 inch is way more than enough. 1/4 inch would be enough.
Paul
Reply to
Paul
Wrong casters for your requirements. Easiest for removable are pin mount casters, which install into vertical tubes at the four corners. Jack up the cart and slip them out. Made all my machine carts this way. JR Dweller in the cellar
Ignoramus15609 wrote:
JR North
Like this:
Wrong casters for your requirements. Easiest for removable are pin mount
JR North

Well, the seller said that they swivel, and also they do look like they might swivel.
Reply to
Ignoramus26085
It looks like none of those casters swivel - won't that make it hard to turn the cart?
Mike
Reply to
Mike Henry
They should swivel, especially since they have a zerk fitting right at the swivel. It's just not obvious since the top of the swivel is a square plate, not round like normal.
Reply to
woodworker88
On Mon, 9 Apr 2007 08:00:04 -0600, with neither quill nor qualm, "Mike Henry" quickly quoth:

Huh? If they're not swivel casters, why are -both- wheels at different angles, and why is neither aligned with either plane of the cart? Go have an extra strong cup of coffee and look again, Mike.
--- Is it time for your medication or mine?
Reply to
Larry Jaques
If you want to stay with plate type casters, they make slide-in mount plates with rolled edges to hold the sides, and a big catch so you can release and slide the old caster out of the mount fast. McMaster.
Looks like they would be very useful in a production shop with dozens or hundreds of carts used as an "assembly line" with jobs on them, as they would cut the maintenance time when casters inevitably wear out and break.
-->--
Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman
Bruce, looks like just what I need. I would never guess. Thanks. I will wait until I get casters and know their dimensions.
Ignoramus26085
I'm not going to go look, but I'll bet they only make a few sizes of the slide-in mounts, and they are sized for a certain manufacturer's casters - not meant to be 'Universal'. In other words, don't score a "great deal" on a ton of casters hoping to use these mounts for them without checking sizes and makers first.
When you're changing casters in bulk like that, you can't be changing sizes on a whim - you settle on one model (two if you need both fixed and swivel) and buy your replacement casters by the Gross, and when the box starts to get low you order another.
-->--
Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman
I received those casters (finally). They are nothing like the usual casters from Harbor Freight. They are made from 3/8" and 1/2" steel plate. Each caster weighs perhaps 12 lbs or so. I did not weigh them, but they were very heavy.
They can easily carry that mill if I decide to put it on casters.
Ignoramus1983
> >> I received those casters (finally). They are nothing like the usual >> casters from Harbor Freight. They are made from 3/8" and 1/2" steel >> plate. Each caster weighs perhaps 12 lbs or so. I did not weigh them, >> but they were very heavy. >> >> They can easily carry that mill if I decide to put it on casters. >> >> i >> >> >> >> >> >
Reply to
Ignoramus25541