Looking for a GOOD mag base that is worth the money

I've got a bunch of magnetic bases for dial indicators. Some better than others, none of a making that I'd be willing to admit in this forum. I see Starret's and Mitutoyo's, and they look not much different from what I have already. I also see a snazzy-looking one from NOGA. Fierce money, but funky looks, and a different concept from what I'm used to. Anybody got one? Are they good? Anybody have a suggestion for a good mag-base that gets the job done for less?

Reply to
Mike Graham

I have a whole bunch (maybe 6). The one I use all the time, hands down, is the Noga. The good one. I bought it on an impulse one time when they were on sale at J&L, and I have never regretted it.

First requirement is for the magnetic base to have sufficient magnetism. That lets out 99% of the cheap imports. All of mine carry name brands and associated pricing. It's been long enough, though, so I have forgotten about the money and just get to enjoy the quality.

Grant

Mike Graham wrote:

Reply to
Grant Erwin

the only one i have is imported (country?) and was inexpensive, but it works good, like it's welded on. --Loren

Reply to
lcoe

Maybe not exactly what you had in mind, but a "Mighty Mag" is a good strong unit. The knock offs that look like it suck.

Reply to
Ron Thompson

I have something like a mighty mag, and yes it sucks. 8-) I got it given to me by somebody who made the mistake of buying it. The real one was twice the price, but since he only paid $10, the extra $10 would have been worth it (he ended up buying a real one and giving me the import). However, it's not what I'm looking for. I'm looking for one that would be effective for dialing-in stuff on the lathe.

Reply to
Mike Graham

Greetings Mike, I use the Noga mag base indicator holder. I like 'em so much I bought two. They were worth the $85.00 US and more. The one knob tighten feature works great, the magnet is strong, and the fine adjustment also works great. You can even use a 1' travel dial indicator with it. I bought mine six or seven years ago and they both get daily use. Cheers, Eric R Snow, E T Precision Machine

Reply to
Eric R Snow

Sounds like a unanimous vote so far. Thanks.

Reply to
Mike Graham

These would prolly do the job:

?ViewItem&item=2544458506&category=25272

Kent Frazier

I have a NOGA and wouldn't trade it for anything!

Reply to
Tony

This one *is* a NOGA, but it's a wee little test indicator stand. Not much good for dialing in stuff on a 20" lathe.

These two are the same item. I have a mag base of that sort. It has its moments, but I'm not particularly fond of it in general. Thanks for trying, though. 8-)

Reply to
Mike Graham

I have a couple Noga holders also and they really are that good. I also have a couple knock off copies, and while they are handier than the older style holders, the real Noga is by far worth the cost. Get 2

- keep a test indicator in one, and a 0-1" indicator in the other. I buy them for the shop - There is one handy to almost every machine, and they save more than enough time to pay for themselves. John

Reply to
John Magee

Reply to
Kent Frazier