Does anyone still use lantern toolposts

    My Clausing came without a toolpost, and I put a turret toolpost which I had on it for a short while, while I ordered a Phase-II Series 200 (pretty much the same as an Aloris BXA), and have never used the turret toolpost since.
    I've seen used lantern toolposts, and never bought them (either on eBay or in surplus tool piles), even though I could have gotten them quite inexpensively. (Of course, if I did, I would also have to get several Armstrong style tool holders which would be (these days) almost as expensive as the Phase-II.)
    I *do* have the lantern style toolpost for my old Atlas/Craftsman 6x18" lathe -- because when I was using it, I could not find a properly sized quick-change toolpost.
    And the 7" Rockwell/Delta shaper has a lantern style toolpost too, but that kind does not have tilt built into it, and the tools which I have for the shaper are appropriate for the holder. It has the advantage of not adding as much weight to the "clapper box" as any quick-change toolpost would, and also I don't need to change tools frequently on the shaper.

    Not on a lathe for which a good quick-change toolpost is available, at least. On the shaper, it is what works, and the quick-change is not needed.

    I do not -- with the (non-lathe) caveats above.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
Sometimes you want to use HSS cutters and not carbide.
Nothing like using Armstrong (who makes lanterns and holder to this day) tool holder to cut plastic and stuff that needs a sharp edge.
Lanterns can be purchased from MSCdirect and other tool suppliers.
IIRC, Armstrong sells direct themselves.
Martin
Ignoramus14738 wrote:

http://www.armstrongtools.com/ECommerce/Category.aspx and scroll down the left navigation to "workholding" (yes, I know it's toolholding, but that seems to be where they've lumped it in).
I seem to recall paging through an Allen Tool catalog that listed a bunch of this style toolholder as well, but in searching for them, I found they were part of the Danaher group along with Armstrong, so I guess that comes as no surprise.
--Glenn Lyford
On Wed, 03 Feb 2010 21:00:14 -0600, "Martin H. Eastburn"

I have some..some lantern tool posts, bases and rockers if anyone needs anything. Ill check stock next weekend when I get back..if I get back within 2 weeks again.
Gunner
On Wed, 03 Feb 2010 23:10:52 +0000, David Billington

Very very cool!!
Ive been working on some Okuma LN6s with a 20" spindle Bore..<G> and cutting specialty oilfield threads with BIG thread inserts. Flat threads..Butruss type threads and that would work a treat!!
Gunner