Dovetail Column Mill

I am interested in getting a RF-45 bench type mill. Thing is, I am not convinced that this mill is what I really want; they seem on the light side.

I was thinking of cobbling something together; but it has to go down the basement stairs. Otherwise I would just buy a bridgeport, universal or convert a horizontal mill.

A) I found 5 pcs. really nice bridgeport type heads; belt drive,

3phase, 5" stroke, R8, swivel, heavy duty & in excellent condition (except for the paint). Would put the mill-drill heads to shame. Reasonable price; CA$450 ea (buy more for less) B) I also found some 8x29 tables with X-Y travel & base ready for a column. These are on the small side, but I expect larger ones are hard to come by. C) Last item needed a not found is a dovetail column; about 3'+ long; 10"x10" or larger; strong. I have thought of fabricating something from steel square tube, insert a dampening tube and attach a dovetail or linear rails.

So here comes the question for anyone kind enough to consider answering...

1) Any comments of where I could get item C or at least the start of it? 2) Does anyone know where I could get a larger X-Y T-Slot table? 3) Anyone think I am wasting my time?

Eric

P.S. See my next post about a mill I found.

Reply to
distracted

I think you are underestimating the job.

Reply to
ATP*

Buy a good used clausing 8540 horizontal mill and add a bridgport head. you can make a great combo machine for a decent price.

The rockwell knee mill is also the prefect size for a basement workshop. Comes apart for moving. Two people moved mine into the basement is about 4-5 hours.

chuck

Reply to
Chuck Sherwood