RF-45 Mill - Good Deal?

I found what I believe to be a true RF-45 mill (9.5x32 table) with cast iron bench; CA$3,000 (Approx.=US$2450) with tooling (8 collets, drill chuck, 8 parallels, 5" swivel vice, small facing head, some end mills, clamping kit. Table travel is unusual 11.5"x18.5" It is quite noisy at higher speeds. I am considering this for my basement.

The price seems on the high side, but I would like to hear the opinions of others... Is this a good deal or not?

Eric

Reply to
distracted

I went through the process of getting a mill about a year ago. I started with an RF30, then sold it and bought a Gorton 8D. During that process I kept my eye on the RF45 market, since I was considering getting one. I should say that I'm immensely glad I didn't.

I think $2450 is extremely high for an RF45 even with the stuff that's coming with it. Without knowing what type of shape the mill and tooling is in or what flavor of RF45 you're looking at, it's hard to say what it's worth. Keep in mind you can buy a new RF45-ish machine from HF for under $1K, and I've seen them for less on sale.

I'm thinking that setup is worth $600 to $700. That's what I've seen them go for in or around Northern California.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Grey

Agree about the 600-800 range for a garage mill, might try for a new one.

I got one thats lasted me over 10 years, just occasional use...

xman

Reply to
xmradio

Reply to
Grant Erwin

For that kind of money, you should be able to buy a real mill such as a Bridgeport, Tree, etc. But..shrug..it depends on where you live.

Here in So. Cal, a "user" BP can go between $1500-3000 USD, depending on chrome ways, DRO etc.

Also, it depends on how much room you have to put a mill in. Im rather found of the Burke Millrite if you have limited space.

Also, dont overlook horizontal mills if vertical ones are scarce. You can do very good work with a horizontal mill.

Gunner Rule #35 "That which does not kill you, has made a huge tactical error"

Reply to
Gunner

Gunner

Gunner

Grant,

That is a good point! I am in Brampton, Ontario (Toronto). Welcome any other comments.

I have been looking at the new mills as well. But it seems a number of people have indicated that the Taiwan versions were/are much better than the Chinese. This machine is a Taiwan machine, about 5 years old.

Eric

Reply to
distracted

One other comment about this mill. It is not a standard RF-45... The base frame is about twice as thick as the RF-45 clones. Also, the column is 10"x10"; I believe that the RF-45 clones are 8"x8" square column.

Eric

Reply to
distracted

I am not adverse to horiz. mill & in fact would prefer that, but I have 3 concerns:

1) I have to take this down stairs... The only Horiz.'s I have seen suitable for going to a basement are clausing and rockwell mills. This limits the choices. And, I have not seen any around here for sale. 2) I am concerned that buying a clausing or rockwell with a conversion head would limit my work envelope. I would like an X-Y travel in the range of 10"x24" + 20"table to spindle + 8" x min.32"L (prefer 36") table. 3) Also if I go for a small horiz. mill with bridgeport head, I have heard that these are difficult to keep true i.e. the head tends to turn under heavy cuts.

I already know where there are 5 very nice 1Hp, 3ph, R8, 5" travel, belt drive, swivel bridgeport type heads. Square flange arrangement. They are heavier than a lot of bridgeport heads. Excellent condition; they have had them a while and I expect would be flexible on price.

Burke Millrite - I have considered this though, but one with a larger table. Issue is that I have not seen one around here at all. Most knee mills are Bridgeport, Xcello, or First. These are all on the larger size.

I am in Toronto, anyone know of a good mill available locally?

Eric

Reply to
distracted

Did someone say "Burke knee mill" and "NW Washington State"? I live in SeaTac, And have been looking for one of those. You wouldn't possibly still have it, would you?

Reply to
KevinK

If you had said So. Cal...I would have raised my hand. Ive got a production version available. Gunner

Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. Benjamin Disraeli

Reply to
Gunner