RF Communication

Hi
I am trying to find out what technology is readily avaialble that will allow me to interact with microcontrollers and a desktop PC over an RF
link.
It seems I can use RS-232 over Bluetooth, but I wonder what else exists and what products/comapnies I can turn to for products.
I can (if need be) develop firmware to support my needs, but I'd rather not, its too time consuming.
Ideally I want to be able to:
1. Address indvidual controllers/boards from a desktop PC 2. Be able to send data back from software on any board, to the PC. 3. Use RF 4. Avoid as much as possible, writing any comms code on the controller (or PC) to support this.
Now TCP/IP would be excellent if its out there, the ability to have socket to socket communication between PC software and software on a controller, would be ideal for my purposes.
Any pointers much appreciated!!
Hugh
These guys have some great products:
http://www.maxim-ic.com /
HTH

Try here:
http://www.maxim-ic.com /
HTH

Thanks for the pointer.
That firm certainly has an impressive device, but its not what I need exactly.
I really want a Micrcontroller board, with WiFi support (the MAX chip looks perfect for this) and some kind of initial firmware to provide TCP/IP and a socket function library.
From what I can see the various parts exist already but no-one has yet put them together into a single board product that allows the development of TCP/IP software running on a Micrcontroller over a WiFi network.
Thanks again for the pointer however.
Hugh

Check this out http://www.iosoft.co.uk /
hugh snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Hugh W. Gleaves) wrote in message

Hugh W. Gleaves wrote:

I use a JStik which has an ethernet port. I connect this to a Linksys Ethernet to WiFi bridge.
If you don't have an ethernet port, you can use an XPort, which is a serial <-> ethernet connector.
I can trivially connunicate from my controller to my PC. -- D. Jay Newman http://enerd.ws/robots /
Have a look here http://www.maxstream.net .
I've use their 9XStream modules in several embedded applications for remote temperature/control status monitoring. You can setup each receiver with a unique address, and they're super easy to use. They have a development kit that includes the RS232 interface boards as well.
Regards,
-Bruce snipped-for-privacy@rentron.com http://www.rentron.com