oven/kiln controller that can be hooked to your computer

Check this out. I thought this might be of intrest to some on this board.

NOW! - Add the convenience of a digital controller to your existing kiln.. Plus The added ability to Monitor & control you kiln from a PC.

glasstools

Looks very nice. Modern microcontrollers allow programming of processes very nicely. I put a microcontroller in my welder and programmed it with about 1,000 lines of BASIC. The code is GPLed. It's fun and easy. I use this welder quite often.

Ignoramus11124

I thought about that recently. Now I'm convinced:

520$ and WinXP. That makes me laught!

For that money, you get **real** temp-controllers that do ramping.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

Most modern process controllers (80's or so and later) all have RS-232 capability, so the real value in your product is the software. I didn't realize how low the price of the on eBay was, so if you want to put together a package so that folks can purchase their own process controller and power control from eBay and simply supply them the software, then you also have a market for those who like to DIY at least some of the work.

Reply to
Carl McIver

RS232 or more importantly RS485 for multiple controllers on a single comms line for serious use. RS232 will allow a single unit communications, RS485 will allow many. I noted that the site does mention a RS485 to RS232 interface, hopefully its self contained as standard PC hardware/Windows is pitiful at supporting RTS controlled converters. As for the software it is likely to need a support module for each makers process controller, I have done similar to the poster for use with Cal Controls units but I doubt it would work with another makers controller even if it talked the same protocol. herein lies the development work, the front end could stay the same but each supported controller would require configuration and testing I know Cal already do software as mentioned but I think the cost is somewhat higher.

Reply to
David Billington

Very very nice. And only $520 too!

cringe.....

Gunner

Political Correctness

Gunner

Nick you should reread the page, it will operate without the PC so I see this as a boxed process controller with communication option and PC software to allow programming and logging of the data from the controller. Nothing new in that. I don't know if the price is reasonable or not as i've only ever bought the process controllers and comms option, never bought the vendors software. The software side i've done myself.

Reply to
David Billington

I've read that. They use "their" controller that does already ramping for

320$ and added some software for as little as 200$. _Some_ of the controller-manufacturers (and their controller is one of those; brand unknown) offer a free software.

And if I want a ramping controller, it's got to be one that also controlls the cool-down phase with a ventilator (you get that in the 300..400$ range).

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

"For that money, you get **real** temp-controllers that do ramping."

Ya thats what it does it can ramp up or down. up to 64 steps. and you can save as many profiles as you want. on your computer and it is a ready to go plug in system not a kit or some thing you still have to build when you get it. the price is very conpetive when compaired to controllers with less fectures. (K.I.S.S system from bartlett is $600 plus adishinal $300 for the interface and the sofeware.) also if compaired to other systems that cost over $1,000 $520 is not a bad deal. esp when you consider its got a higher amp rating then most controllers. 45 amp relay compaired to 25 and 30 amp relays in most other brands,plus the hotasstools controllers come with a warranty and free shipping and every thing needed is included. most others you need to buy your cables,software,converts, thermocouple to have it as a compleat kit.

"I noted that the site does mention a RS485 to RS232 interface, hopefully its self contained as standard PC hardware/Windows is pitiful at supporting RTS controlled converters" The RS485-RS232 converter is built in to the controller and needs no software or drivers. it has tested compatable on all computers its been tested on. and yes as some one pointed out it can run as a stand alone system if you do not want to leave it hooked to a computer. The software will only work on this controller and will not work on other controllers.

Ok I am aware that a DIY type can make there own compairatable controller and software for $400 or even less maybe. But you can also build your own house for a lot less then you can buy one ready made. But that don't mean every one wants to or can build there own house. This is meant for someone that just wants something that works and don't want to mess around trying difrent parts and componits till they find the right parts to make every thing work right. That part has already been done on my end.

Reply to
glasstools

I have been controlling my composite post cure oven for 5 years with a $125 Fuji PRX controller with auto tune, PID, fuzzy logic and 6 step ramp/soak up and down tied to my PC with RS 442 so I can monitor and program it from my office 300' away from the oven. $525 is ridiculous.

I have it mounted with an SSR, duplex outlet and power switch in an old hard drive case so I can use it for my thermal transfer press, the toaster oven I use for SMD soldering and anything else that needs tight temperature control.

Reply to
Glenn Ashmore