Re: The RF-30 Mill/Drill

Reply to
Rick Sparber

Hey Rick , did you realize this post was from 23 years ago ?

Reply to
Snag

Hey, I started to respond to this. Don't pick on me because I had to search through 23 years of old posts to find something I felt I could add a relevant reply to. (I owned an HF RF30 for a few years.) I thought it was pretty mediocore to poor, but I did some actual work with it. I even ran it with a master holder so I could use my Kwik 200 tool holders with it. Talk about putting lipstick on a pig.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

When I was shopping I read all the reviews - probably including yours and most certainly Rick's . I then shopped around and found the RF45 clone I now have . The stuff I do requires moving the head sometimes while in process , and I didn't want to dick around finding my zero after a move . The dovetail column is the biggest reason for my choice . The lipstick on my pig is the Shumatech 350 DRO (adequate but ...) and an X axis power feed . I have another* I'm considering mounting on the Y but I'm not sure it's worth the effort so ... * It was on the mill X and blew a couple of diodes so I replaced it , then repaired it when I had the time and inclination .

Reply to
Snag

I had a CNCed RF45 class machine. The implementation was terrible, but the base machine looked OK. When I finally decided I needed a half decent manual milling in the shop last year I considered a Precision Mathews import in that class, but I finally decided since I was going to do a lease purchase (finance) I was going to get all the bells and whistles I wanted and something big enough to create really stupid setups and went with the South Bend SB1028F. So far I really like it for manual jobs, repairs, and an amazing number of second ops that are faster to just do manually than to program. I didn't pick the SB on reputation since it appears to be a Grizzly owned brand now. I picked it because it came with the most of what I wanted all in one package. I use it almost everyday in spite of having 5 CNC mills in the shop. For just a home or small farm shop I would certainly own an RF45. Heck, if one comes along at the right price I'll buy it anyway. LOL. I've got a buddy who has a similar PM machine, but slightly smaller and he is pretty happy with it making parts for sale on Ebay.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

...I was going to get all the bells and whistles I wanted and something big enough to create really stupid setups and went with the South Bend SB1028F. ...

I inherited an Enco version of the Grizzly G0731 in a consolidation of departmental model shops. It suffered from Enco quality, mainly in the small parts, but it was a size and style that I think would serve well in a home hobby shop. It was effectively a modernized version of my 1950's Clausing, which is very nice for small delicate work and capable of machining parts for a sawmill and log splitter. The Clausing at least disassembles into parts one person can carry down stairs.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins