Understanding SAE hose specs

I've been trying to purchase some hose for a project I'm working on (an oil filter relocation kit, nothing special) and in the course of this have been rudely introduced to the world of SAE hose specifications. Out of curiosity (the morbid kind, mostly) I thought maybe I'd delve into that a bit further, and now I'm immersed in the desire to figure it all out. But for some reason, I can't seem to find any sort of all-in-one online source that explains all the various SAE ratings. Does anyone know of such a thing? Or could someone give me a quick primer on how all this stuff works? Like for example, what exactly is the difference between things like 100R1, 30R7, 30R10, etc.? I've read the specs for different manufacturer products that "exceed SAE rating J-whatever" but that doesn't seem to help much. If I had a specific application in mind, and wanted to look up in a book of specs what minimum type of hose design I needed, where would I go? Thanks for any help and guiding words of wisdom that can be provided.

Reply to
The Hurdy Gurdy Man