Drill Chuck / Lathe Chuck - Drill Press Question

Hello;

I need to chuck a peice of 1.25" ID brass tubing into my drill press. Is there a way to do this? Do they make a mini taperless lathe chuck(that I can place into my existing drill chuck) which will handle this large diameter stock?

Any ideas?

Thanks

Reply to
machine_nine

If you have a lathe, you could turn an arbor for the brass tube where one diameter would fit into your chuck while the second diameter would fit into your brass tube. You could either create a slight taper to hold the brass tube, or use some small screws around the perifery. A heavy torque load would probably favour the screws...

Naturally you'll want to turn the arbor in a single setup to keep your runout to a minimum.

Just out of curiosity, what are you doing with the tube? Perhaps using it with some abrasive paste to cut a hole in a piece of glass/tile?

Regards,

Robin

Reply to
Robin S.

How accurate does it need to be? One option is an expanding mandrel on the inside. I know they are available cheaply in about that size although the shank would need to be turned down to fit your drill chuck. At MSC they're listed under expanding collets. I couldn't find the

1.25" in cheap china quality but the better quality was $ 39.

Koz

Reply to
Koz