Anilam Crusader II help needed

Hello,

I am looking for the RS232 ROM chip. I have a ROM burner, so I can make copies.

A friend is an 8080 hobbyist (the computer that the crusader is based on). He is going to update my non-rs232 machine.

if anyone has the ROM I need please let me know.

Rich

aiiadict AT gmail DOT com

Reply to
aiiadict

So many problems with two short sentences. What are you actually trying to do? RS232 is a serial connection protocol. ROM is read-only memory, and ROM burners don't exist - the chip is made from a mask - so I'm guessing you don't have a ROM burner.

What are you actually trying to do? Tell us the thing you're trying to fix, rather than what you think the solution is.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Hey Rich,

If nobody else pipes up, gimme a shout in few days. When you do, be sure you have some details of what you need, because I don't. And not that I believe it matters, but is it a lathe or a mill, and what version of the Crusader II is it?

Take care.

Brian Laws>Hello,

Reply to
Brian Lawson

Yes -- both statements are correct -- but the ROM may contain the drivers to allow the Anilam Crusader II to utilize the RS-232 hardware. IIRC, it was an option -- and allowed both transferring to/from the little cassette tape unit, and to/from a computer of your choice.

It may also need an additional card to add the RS-232 hardware, with only a connector on the back of the machine waiting for that.

There are three types -- before you get into FLASH ROM which probably was not used back then.

1) The mask-programmed ones, which need to be made in *very* large quantities to be cost efficient. 2) EPROMs (and EEPROMs) which can be programmed by a so-called "ROM Burner" of some form or other, and which are used for small production runs, as well as prototypes. These can be erased (Usually with UV light for the EPROMs, and with voltage application for the EEPROMs.) Back in the early days, X-rays were an alternative way to erase EPROMs -- both the UV-erasable ones with the quartz window, and the ones with a metal lid which could not be erased by UV. 3) Fusible link PROMs -- which are truly "burned" to program them, and if you mess up, you have to start over with a fresh one, as there is no way to erase them.

He wants to add the ability to save and load programs through the RS-232 port - for which he needs both hardware (which may or may not already be present), and the firmware, (which goes into a ROM, PROM or EPROM.)

Ideally, I think that he should contact Anilam, and see whether they still support the Crusader-II. If they do, the right thing to do is to buy the EPROM (or at least the code) from them. If they no longer support the Crusader II, then it is time to ask for others who have the ROM or EPROM for the information to burn a new one. (And he may still need the hardware to support the RS-232 interface -- which may go into another card slot, or may simply require chips to be plugged into sockets on the existing boards.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols