Miller 500 capabilities

Hi all,

My brother in law has just told me that he has a Miller "5000" in storage close to me that I can use ad infinitum. I'm assuming that it is a Miller Sychrowave 500 - he doesn't remember for certain and he's 2000 miles away. The little bit of reading I've done suggests that this machine has the power to weld bridges out of aluminum.

Is it worth my time to go look at the Miller? I have a Thermal Arc 185 TSW that I like very much. Other than having more oomph, is there anything that the Miller can do that the TA can't? I don't have the room for both (and not really for the Miller unless it does something cool that the TA doesn't).

Peter

Reply to
Peter Grey

Peter, This is the same machine I have. It's the pimp-daddy for Al. and about anything you can throw at it. Depending if it has a sequencer it helps, I'd look at it, As a matter of fact, if you don't want it, I would buy it as a second machine. I have a spare sequencer and PM kit. The only real draw back is they are expensive as hell to get fixed and they need annual check ups really. The TA is a wicked machine too. My friend has one and he can throw work at it all day long and never overheats, nadda and this is on 1/2" Al plate and tube. He hates my Miller from a personal point. The biggest issue is the thing weighs as much as a submarine (The Miller that is) and it loves running up my electric bill. Outside of 2500.00 worth of PM and repairs I love it. If you opt for the TA Let me know if you want to sell the Miller. Cash in hand, I'm open, please feel free to contact me at NT_Geek at hotmail dot com I can also hook you up with spares if you go for the SD500.

All the best,

Rob Fraser

Fraser Competition Engines Chicago, IL.

Reply to
RDF

Rob,

Thanks for the offer. My BIL will give it to me, but if I don't want it, he's going to keep it even though he's in Indiana and the welder is in the San Francisco Bay Area. He's also got a nice mill that he's offered to me with the same arrangement. He's not using them and I offered to sell them for him and he's not interested. He knows that it would cost more to ship these items than it would cost to sell them and buy locally, but he has an emotional attachment to these tools. Go figure.

Reply to
Peter Grey

Here are a few notes.

I have two Syncrowave 500 machines, each set up for 230V single phase.

At that particular voltage they will output 625 amps of welding grunt provided you input about 200 amps of 230v input.

At 400 amps out they will run at 100% duty cycle. I don't remember how many amps they require for 400 amps out.

I seem to remember, but I'm not sure, that you can crank 'em up to about 250 amps for about 93 amps in.

Being high frequency square wave machines they are prone to messing up the entire neighborhood's TV reception every time you strike up. A proper installation is pretty complicated.

I've never used either machine at anywhere close to 400 amps, never mind 500 or 625.

They each weigh about 1000 pounds or perhaps even more. I've got my electric service set up so that I can shut down the entire house and shunt the entire 200 amp service to the welders.

When I got the first machine and before I understood how to set up the adjustments, I "tested" it by striking a 1/8" stick electrode on an old big truck rim. Although I set the amperage to about 100 I did not notice that the "start-up amperage" was set a lot higher.

No sooner than I struck up the electrode went RED hot and it blew a 45 caliber hole in the rim before I could say "shit!".

Vernon

Reply to
Vernon

Vernon,

Thanks for the entertaining info! It sounds like my TA does everything the Miller does, except on material less thick. Since I won't be building any battleships in my 11' by 17' foot garage and really can't spare the space, I think I'll pass.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Grey

If its free..and you are coming my way..Ill take it. Might even swap you something for it.

Gunner

Gunner

Gunner,

As I mentioned in one of the other posts above:

"My BIL will give it to me, but if I don't want it, he's going to keep it even though he's in Indiana and the welder is in the San Francisco Bay Area. He's also got a nice mill that he's offered to me with the same arrangement. He's not using them and I offered to sell them for him and he's not interested. He knows that it would cost more to ship these items than it would cost to sell them and buy locally, but he has an emotional attachment to these tools. Go figure."

Peter

Reply to
Peter Grey

Sigh..ok.

Btw..hows the Gorton mill doing?

And you got something from me some time back, what was it?...sigh...memory

Gunner

Gunner

Gunner,

My BIL's feeling about his welder and mill don't make much sense. I think it would make much more sense to sell them and buy new ones, but I guess I can understand his emotional connection to his tools. I'm certainly not always rational about mine...

The Gorton is great. My appreciation escalates the more I talk to other folks about their equipment, or use other equipment.

You turned down a face cutter shank for me a while ago and it worked well... and still does. You may be thinking of some interest I had in one of the Vernon mills you were going to get... Certainly not something I need.

I've been meaning to ask you how your Volvo is doing. Did you get a gearbox?

Peter

Reply to
Peter Grey

Way cool. Mine is going to have to come home, if the guy who has the warehouse doent find another place.

Bing..thats right. Couldnt remember.

Actually its running pretty good. Changed filters/fluid, and she put another 2000 or so miles on it so far, with no issues noted. Ive found another '82 but a 4 door, a local woman has, for $150.00, but appears to have either a bad tank pump or secondary fuel pump. Ill probably pick it up pretty soon of one of my clients pays me...sigh..

Its likely to be the infamous disentergrating Volvo wiring..which I can replace easily enough. I did everything already in the wifes car.

Thanks for asking.

Gunner

Gunner