Dirt cheap infrared transmitter? (receiver not needed)

In a few days I am releasing onto SourceForge a piece of Open Source software (GPL), that controls a Robosapien robot. Currently the software
supports a $50 USB infrared transceiver. The current supported transceiver is an excellent product, but I am hoping to find a dirt cheap alternative for my users; especially since there is no cost for the software.
I do not need any IR receiving or learning capability at all, only transmit. A serial port device instead of a USB port device is fine, if that would reduce the cost.
Note: I am looking for a fully assembled unit from a reliable vendor so my users can simply order online and then "plug and play". I need it to work on the Windows operating system (I do intend to add Linux support in the near future).
If you know of such a product please post a link to the vendor's web site.
Thanks.
--
Robert Oschler
Robosapien Dance Machine

pity, as making an ir transmitter is real simple, specially if the board supports an infrared module. just a resistor and ir led tied with a cable to the irtx line would do, could even use a spare cd-drive analog cable.

Jim,
I agree, but there will be plenty of Robosapien owners that won't even know what a soldering iron it, and I want them to be able to use the software too.
Thanks.
--
Robert Oschler
http://www.robotsrule.com/phpBB2 /

they could twist the wires together, then just plug them into the cable, it won't be as secure, but it'd work.

Hello Robert,
I'm not sure if this is usable with your software, or qualifies as dirt-cheap, but a local computer store (Computer Shop Valkenswaard) has a miniature USB IrDA dongle, type MCS7780 for EUR 20 incl. software and USB extension cord.
Another option, which I am working on myself, is to replace the IR with RF. I bought a transmitter and receiver PCB from www.conrad.nl, article code 130428, for just EUR 15. It has the advantage that you don't need line-of-sight, but it is obviously not suitable for everybody.
I'm looking forward to your software, please let us know when you release it!
Peter