DRILL DOCTOR Grinds Tungsten Electrodes

On 18 Oct 2005 18:23:37 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm, "CAMCOMPCO" quickly quoth:

Could be. Axially means that it's sharpened in same direction as the axle points. Pencil sharpening happens at roughly 90°, or radially.

It's easier to hold a rod sideways to a grinding wheel, but that leaves grooves in the point. Those grooves act like steps and are what make the arc jump according to the Welder's Handbook. (See, I can actually learn from books. ;)

Want one? Finch's book on Ebay for a buck (so far):

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - If God approved of nudity, we all would have been born naked. ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- -----

Your Wild & Woody Website Wonk

Reply to
Larry Jaques

What you say.

Ignoramus6433

The M500 is NOT the same as the Drill Doctor

Gunner, who owns and uses an M500

Gunner

Are you sure that yours isn't an M5? There was a Drill Doctor 500, which is what Iggy may be referring to, but I don't think I've ever seen an M500.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Henry

By the way, here's one similar to mine:

Ignoramus27736

It is adjustable, but you misunderstood.

I do not use the adaptor (collet) for sharpening drill bits when sharpening my tungsten electrodes.

I simply use the drill doctor as a diamond wheel rotating at high speed.

I hold the electrode in my hands, insert it into a big opening. That opening is used for aligning drill bits in DD collets. With the collet removed, it is about 1" diameter window. Insert the electrode into that window, adjust its position by hand, and grind it.

Basically, think about a dremel tool that's being held in a vice. I use DD as I would use that dremel, only it is more conveniently packaged for electrode grinding, and contains dust to a little better extent. It is actually nice. It feels like an expensive tool.

If only my TIG welds were as good as DD is for sharpening electrodes...

Ignoramus27736

I assumed you were using the DD with the drill bit holder. My mistake. In normal use with the holder can you adjust it to angles other than 118 and 135?

The cool thing about the lithium dremel is that it has a flat bottom so it sit flat and you can use your legs to stabilize it.

Reply to
cl

I do not think so. Frankly, I just used one setting so far. I think that I can choose between the two and that's all.

Very nice.

Ignoramus27736

You are quite right. However..mine is clearly marked M500, which I suspect was a later model with the borazon wheels. It looks identical to the M5.

Or Ive brain farted completly. ...sigh

Gunner

Gunner

I have an older DD. 750 I think. It really isn't that bad. I think it can do a better job than many people can do by hand. This product is one that people either love or hate without too much in between.

I also have a old blackdiamond sharpener. It is a wonderful unit.

I also have a darex M5 that I don't like very well. It has a good reputation but I find it difficult to use and I can't get good results like I get with the Black diamond.

Reply to
Chuck Sherwood

there is a new DD 750X - I was debating getting one of those - anyone checked them out in detail? and for those who have a 750 and hate it - maybe that would meet my needs - perhaps we can make a deal? (off the list - mail me - correct this address --- william_ b_n oble at msn daught com)

Reply to
william_b_noble

I like the Drill Doctor. It does a very good job for me. Unfortunately it does not sharpen anything smaller then a 3/32 drill. And most of the drills I use are between #60 and #66. So those I still sharpen by hand, since they are mostly poorly sharpened right out of the box.

I find sharpening a 1/2" drill by hand a rather tricky proposition to get it right. The DD does it in seconds.

Abrasha

Abrasha