Sharpening wheel that would stand up to tungsten

I need to find some better sharpening method... My wheels are killed by tungsten electrodes. I do not have megabucks to pay though.

Ignoramus5275

Swing by a machine shop and ask em for their worn out White or pink surface grinder wheels. Make up an adapter for the 1.25" hole to fit your grinder. Works great, less filling

They generally toss em when they are about 4-5" in diameter..too small for a surface grinder..but just perfect for tungsten grinding. And no...the green wheels will evaporate very quickly. Ive been experimenting with some of the wheels I have, and a fine white for finishing, and a medium for roughing seems to work just hunky dory. Same with the pinks.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Take your Tungsten and chuck it in a drill ( I have a 3/8"cordless for this task)... Turn the drill on and lock the trigger lock so It stays running...lay it down on it's side on the deck of the truck or bench or whatever you have around you... put your welding helmet on and fire up your cutting torch... The tungsten glows very brightly when you put the torch to the spinning tungsten so you have to drop your helmet. Prehead the tungsten with the torch (takes half a second) and then add the oxygen (depress the cutting lever) with the torch at an angle to bevel or cut the tungsten at the desired angle of cut... you'll see the developement of the tungsten under your welding helmet and will quickly be able to catch on to the angle of the torch etc. for a desoired tungsten point.

PRESTO!....a newly prepared tungsten... I actually think they last longer than ground tungsten... That'll keep ya occupied for a while...LOL....Regards...Jim Morris (Morris Welding & Holdings Ltd) Sask Canada

Reply to
Jim & Lil

Interesting. I do not have O/A. Actually I found another solution this morning, I use a Drill Doctor with its diamond grinding wheel. I already have a nice drill doctor. Works like a charm.

Ignoramus6433

running...lay it

We use the 120 grit flapper wheels on a grinder and chuck tungsten in a cordless drill. If they are new (blunt) we sometimes use a standard grinding disk to rough shape them and then go to the flapper wheel.

Reply to
Jess