Tried TIG welding tonight

I finally tried tig welding with my Hobart Cyber TIG:

(no TIG welding pictures yet)

A very unpleasant surprise was that arc starting was NOT working. So I had to scratch start for a while, which quickly became not fun, especially considering the looks of the electrode after that.

Then, I spent about 1-1.5 hours messing with the welder, and found out that it was configured for remote arc starting (using remote arc starter outlet), and that the internal arc starter was disconnected.

After reconnecting them, it was quite wonderful. Arc started automagically and could be trivially restarted.

I am a quite lousy tig weldor, but the welding machine is just great. I could easily weld tiny 1/16" steel pieces and they would have quite strong (but UGLY) welds.

I need to properly adjust the spark gap. I have these little flat gauge adjustment thingys that I need to use properly.

I also found that I had to set the arc start to the lowest setting, or else it would become ridiculous. I also tried moving electrode away, and observer ridiculous arcs, the shape of the broom if it drags on the floor.

Ignoramus5275