Drilling 21/32" holes in blown-out 5/8-11 holes

I have a bunch of presses with 5/8-11 holes that are in poor shape. We pulled the first plate, 400 lbs - 2.5" thick and started drilling with a "D" handle 1/2" electric drill. What a bitch! I ground the bit into a spear point on a 21/64" bit with a slight negative rake and it's still tough. Two guys and it still is very grabby and ary twisty. Short of a mag drill or putting the plate on the BP (can't get it there except by mussle) There's got to be a better way?

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Try a reamer. Not likely to grab. But ya gotta hold it straight. You could drill and ream a 21/32 hole in a block which you clamp onto the plate to be drilled. Then ream the hole with the block being your guide and keeping the reamer straight. Good Luck! Eric

Reply to
Eric R Snow

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 19:09:56 GMT, "Tom Gardner" calmly ranted:

Tackweld a thick guide onto the plate, then ream or drill.

-- Friends Don't Let Friends Eat Turkey and Drive --

Reply to
Larry Jaques

How about a mag drill press?

Reply to
ATP

Four flute "Core Drill" is the best way to go. If it's a through hole then a bridge reamer will work as well. Wayne Cook Shamrock, TX

Wayne Cook

So _that's_ why you spend so much time in the can instead of at your workstation. :)

WW1 pilots really did have that problem with the planes whose engines were lubricated with castor oil from what I've read and IIRC.

Reply to
Johan

^%#!! Johan! I should have seen that one coming! Seriously, the big advantage of castor oil is that it clings to the tool bit so well, esp for horizontal drilling. Regards Steve Monroe

Reply to
Steve Monroe

Makes sense to me. I'll keep it in mind for future reference. Thanks.

Best, John

Reply to
Johan

I have a 21/32 reamer I don't use very often....

I tolerance everything and tolerate everyone. I love: Dona, Jeff, Kim, Kimmie, Mom, Neelix, Tasha, and Teri, alphabetically. I drive: A double-step Thunderbolt with 657% range. I fight terrorism by: Using less gasoline.

Reply to
Doug Goncz