Drillpress runout

Just bought a used Craftsman 15" drillpress off of Craigslist and
stupidly didn't give it a good checking over. Now I see it seems to
have 0.02" of runout. Does this sound like a bent spindle? Thanks.
Reply to
Davej
something is bent.
Spindle Chuck arbor
pick one of the above.
John
Reply to
john
Got a dial indicator?
Could be normal, just loose and flopping about. Is there a pile of play in the spindle?
Check the spindle with the chuck removed.
Check with a couple different drills. Wouldn't be the first time the overhaul started because of a bent tool.
Are you drilling PC boards or construction lumber? Can you live with it?
Cheers Trevor Jones
Reply to
Trevor Jones
Well, I see something. The spindle and arbor are somewhat galled. Then there is also an issue of lateral looseness in the quill.
Reply to
Davej
Are you measuring from a rod held in the drill chuck, or directly indicating the spindle taper? If the latter and you're getting .020" runout I'd put it all back together and sell it again ..
GWE
Reply to
Grant Erwin
I finally oriented myself and see that most of the runout problem is due to galling on the arbor and spindle where it had obviously slipped. Then there is also an issue of some play in the quill.
Reply to
Davej
============= Suggest that you "bite the bullet" and get the correct size finish reamer [#2MT, #3MT or whatever] from Enco and gently "clean-up" the spindle. Removing the "hemorrhoids" will improve things greatly. Also a good idea for used lathes.
see
a bunch more on google
Unka George (George McDuffee)
...and at the end of the fight is a tombstone white with the name of the late deceased, and the epitaph drear: ?A Fool lies here, who tried to hustle the East.?
Rudyard Kipling The Naulahka, ch. 5, heading (1892).
Reply to
F. George McDuffee
and a bunch more on google
Thanks, I didn't realize there were reamers like that.
Reply to
Davej