Drying welding rod in a barbeque grill?

I would like to know if 7018 rod can be dried in a gas grill. Mine is relatively nice, made of stainless steel, and can do up to about 600 degrees F.

  1. Would it effectively dry the rod

  1. Would stainless steel of this grill be damaged by several hours at hot temperature.

Thanks!

Ignoramus29446

should work. Temperature is temperature no matter where it is.

600 ain't nothin' for stainless.

FWIW, you can also use the SO's oven. I did that, she came home early, and I caught holy living hell. The rod must have had a trace of grease or oil on it, really stunk up the place. I'd like to see someone else try it!

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Not as fast as 600 Deg. but I store rods on top of my hot air heating duct, this provides long term low temperature heating.

Jack

Reply to
Jack Hayes

You would have the temperature capability however propane fired heat is loaded with moisture. It would be like trying to dry something with steam. I don't think it would be as effective as electric heat. If you need to dry your low hydrogen rod then you must be working on some sort of welding code job?? Otherwise just use the rod out of the pack and keep sealed as much as possible. I am trying to be a bit diplomatic about dry rod. It is not really that important unless you are doing critical work with low alloy steels or welding steel over half inch thick. Randy

  1. Would it effectively dry the rod

  1. Would stainless steel of this grill be damaged by several hours at hot temperature.

Thanks!

R. Zimmerman

Thanks... I will definitely not do that... Got enough "on my plate" already...

Ignoramus29446

Exactly hte reason for my question -- but note that the air would be so hot that ,moisture in the rods should still, logically, evaporate.

Well, surely you are right, but I figure that loading this stuff into a BBQ oven should be easy, so why not do it...

Ignoramus29446

Reply to
wayne mak

Propane ovens produce a lot of moisture in the combustion process. I place my moisture sensitive rods in the heat on top or the furnace - out of the combustion area - they seem to do fine - not spec of course but OK for my work.

Reply to
John Miller

I did my rod that I got in the Barbie - worked great. I then 'seal-a-meal' or plastic sealed them - handful - with light (coke box) cardboard bent over the sharp ends. Packed them in wood crates and shipped them to a new home.

Many of the plastic cases - broke - or rather just split open - to much weight and the movement was to much. Some worked just fine. But they are still in the bags, keeps dirt off them (wouldn't want dirt in my weld... ) and I'll build a small heater from stove (electric) elements - I'll hook up a thermo-controller rig. See if I can make one of those. Then I can 'cook' and hold as needed. Hum - two burners - one cook......

Martin

Martin Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH & Endowment Member NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder

Karl Townsend wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Off topic, but I find steam is quite effective at drying things. If I'm trying to iron a hand washed shirt dry, it goes a lot faster with steam enabled than disabled. And steam heat tends to be quite effective at drying out _me_ to the point where my water consumption has to go up dramatically.

But yes there's probably a limit on how dry you can get something with steam. Not so sure about propane.

What's the ultimate concern anyway, water itself, or water as a precursor to hydrogen?

Reply to
cs_posting

Karl Townsend wrote in article ...

Not only have I done it, my wife got the oven all pre-heated for me.........

Reply to
*

I fully understand the moisture given off from propane. But remember the temperature. This isn't the balmy Mississippi delta. The air expands very wide and won't support water - it is rid of quickly. The rod is in a lipped cookie tray.

Better than the 90% and up background I was in - that is for sure.

Martin Martin Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH & Endowment Member NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder

R. Zimmerman wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Why not just soak em in that new Silica Gel cat litter ? No heat, no propane-moisture issues, no cow fat inclusion problems. Maybe make up a deticated cat little box, put the 7018 in an old nylon, and cover up in the litter pan for a day or too - that stuff will suck water out of a rock!

Reply to
Mr Wizzard

And what would happen as soon as the cat saw that. Imagine welding with rod soaked in cat piss. gary

Reply to
Gary Owens

In an electric oven there is no water (H2O) of combustion

eg methane burning

CH4 + 2 O2 -> CO2+ 2 H20

You certainly will do no harm with a clean domestic electric oven.

Look out for contributions of experienced folk on this. however, as I understand it:

If you are only welding mild steel (it won't harden by heating to red and quenching) or you are not welding moderately hardenable steels at more than about 10mm 3/8th-inch thickness (quite thick!), you don't have to worry about hydrogen at all at all.

Don't try to dry anything but "basics" - which includes 7018. They are the only ones which may be dried. Other rods (6013 and 6010/6011) need moisture content.

Richard Smith

Reply to
Richard Smith