Dying Detroit - - Ping Gunner

Here's a little video on the Detroit situation and it sure isn't pretty.

Dave

Reply to
dav1936531

Rick

F'n looks like Fallujah, Iraq after the Marines got done with it. Dave

Reply to
dav1936531

Let the Record show that Gunner Asch on or about Mon, 21 Dec 2009 18:05:07 -0800 did write/type or cause to appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Interesting article in the Wall Street Journal last week. The new mayor is a businessman, and former NBA star. As a kid, he got a nail in the eye, they said it would adversely effect his depth perception. So he went on to be the number 2 draft choice. And then got clonked in the head during a game, and they told him there was a risk of a detached retina - so seven years later he hung up his jersey. Took some of his money and bought into a steel mill. just in time for the great steel recession of 1980.

So, he's looking at the fact that Detroit is going to have to cut costs, and that means telling the Unions "You have a choice: 90 percent of what you're now getting, or after the bankruptcy, we start negotiations from zero." I think he's serious. Like, how much worse off would he (and Detroit) be?

tschus pyotr

pyotr filipivich

I can't imagine why nobody wants to live or stay there.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Certainly not for the school system:

Rick

Let the Record show that Gunner Asch on or about Tue, 22 Dec 2009 04:26:01 -0800 did write/type or cause to appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

A point guard for 10 years? He's got the strength.

pyotr filipivich

Start with "It is 'home". They don't have the means to get out of town, and don't know where _to_ go. Or the means to start over. It is really easy to say "Why don't they move?" But when your resources are already stretched thin "'Why shore, I'd move. I'll just call up UHaul and get a truck - wait, the phones out. Probably just as well, the credit card is beyond maxed out." Say, how does one apply the skills learned in the factory into a Web-based business?

It comes down to, they have too many reasons to stay, and too few to move on.

pyotr filipivich

======== There appears to be no reason that Detroit is unique. This should serve as a "red flag" to the residents of all large urban areas and their suburbs about can and will happen when the major employers leave, either through bankruptcy/liquidation or relocation/outsourcing, possibly resulting from over-regulation/taxation, or being used as a "bargaining chip" (and sold out) by our fearless trade negotiators.

I am sure that the neighbors to the 50$ house [before it was priced at 50$] said something like "Well the car companies may be closing down, but I don't work for a car company, or a car company supplier, so I'll be OK."

Unka George (George McDuffee) .............................. The past is a foreign country; they do things differently there. L. P. Hartley (1895-1972), British author. The Go-Between, Prologue (1953).

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

There are two reasons most of them left the old manufacturing areas: Cheap labor, and tax avoidance. A few decades ago, the Southestern states lured manufacturers in by giving away the store.

Now they're paying the price. It turns out that China is cheaper still.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

At 7:22, isn't that where they shot the final shootout for Robocop

2?

Someone wrote "looks like city which was in a war." Yeah, it is a city which was in a war. The War on Poverty. Poverty won and they lost. Or rather, we lost.

Detroit got really hammered, but it is not alone.

pyotr

pyotr filipivich