Brake Cleaner

From the Logan Lathe List: A scary story about brake cleaner

rangerssuck

Found that out when I was working as a mechanic in a shop heated by an old waste-oil furnace- the bit of brake-cleaner fumes floating around got sucked into the machine, and I have to suppose either some of the combustion products were making it into the room, or the hot metal that warmed the air was hot enough to decompose the stuff.

Burned R12 can turn into phosgene, as well. Don't know about the hazards of the newer stuff, it lacks chlorine (I think) and I think that's the main bit that makes it 'interesting'.

The uses of brake cleaner or R12 for producing these chemicals on purpose is left as an exercise for the student...

Dave

Reply to
Dave__67

"freons"

Reply to
clare

Ouch, that sounded painful. And, it's a good warning.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

"Stormin Mormon" fired this volley in news:hgqh3a$c5a$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

Not _merely_ burning it, Stormy. As is also the case with carbon tetrachloride, contact with hot iron-bearing materials catalyses the material into phosgene and a couple of other not-so-nice-to-breathe combustion by-products (like free chlorine gas).

Simply introducing it into a flame decomposes the material, usually liberating chlorine and fluorine as the offending gasses.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

In addition, chlorinated compounds used to remove oils from metals may also react under the UV created during arc (including TIG and MIG) welding to produce phosgene.

Reply to
Don Foreman

First time I got around to reading it. It has been posted elsewhere.

I've used Brakekleen a lot of times for cleaning and I could see me, prior to your post, using it to clean something I was going to silverbraze.

Now I got to read the lable on electromotive cleaner before I buy another can.

Wes

Wes

I don't know what made this guy so sick, but it wasn't the phosgene exposure.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

What, you don't think phosgene exposure is a problem?

Reply to
Doug Miller

I'd tend to agree with you. The immediate symptoms of Phosgene inhalation are burning throat and tightness of breath. The bowel and urine symptoms seem to be non-typical - perhaps due to some bad chinese for lunch???

The exposure from a couple of drops in a well-ventilated area are unlikely to have caused this severe reaction. I'm thinking more likely cadmium or zinc poisoning. His symptoms more closely resemble heavy metal poisoning - which causes the same respiratory distress response becaus it also causes hydrochloric acid burns to the respiratory system, due to zinc chloride.

Zinc and other heavy metal poisoning are cumulative - if you have EVER suffered a mild case you are in high danger of a serious episode with any further exposure.

Reply to
clare