Edge finding?

Anybody know how to use a pointed edge finder to pick up a scribed line?

Reply to
Ron Thompson

Yes:

Take it out of the holder, reverse it, edge find the part, dial over and use the scribed lines to confirm that you turned the cranks the correct number of times...

;-)

Regards,

Robin

Reply to
Robin S.

I always thought it was just an eye thing. Touch the pointed edge finder until it looks like the point is motionless - this means the point is concentric with the spindle - and lower it until it looks like it is dead on the line. You know - move it until it just looks like it's on one side barely, note the position, then move it until it just barely looks like it's on the other side, then split the difference and call it good.

Grant

R> Anybody know how to use a pointed edge finder to pick up a scribed line? >

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Yes, and then you'll be within .010" of the line if your eyes are REAL good! I used to try this stuff with a 25x magnifier, and still couldn't get drilled holes to line up with the screws that went in them without filing. Then, I got an optical readout system (predecessor to a DRO) and suddenly I could make two parts such that the holes actually lined up. There probably are things like optical aligners that fit in the spindle that will allow you to precisely align to scribed marks, but I've never used a system that actually worked well enough, when viewing from the side. I'm not so sure that scribed lines are very accurate. I did a run of parts with a granite surface plate, a right angle plate and a vernier height gauge, so the lines were as accurate as they could be made. But, I still got large errors in the hole position.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

If you can see the scribed line reflected on the point then if it is going straight up the point then you are in line. I bet and won, that I could, with a 5X magnidier get holes within .005 every time using only scribed lines and a wiggler. Got 'em within .003 every time. Did

5 holes. ERS
Reply to
Eric R Snow

Within 5 thou, with a 5x loupe?

Whoever made that bet with you, make some more bets with him. Didn't you feel the least bit ashamed of taking him that way?

Jim

jim rozen

Wrong tool for the job. Go get an optical finder if you want to get to the right point.

-- Bob May Losing weight is easy! If you ever want to lose weight, eat and drink less. Works evevery time it is tried!

Reply to
Bob May

No, he was my big mouthed boss. The piont is, I wasn't bragging when I said I could lay out, with a good scriber and the surface plate, lines which I could then pick up and be within .005. He said I was nuts, I said he could even do it, we bet and there it is. ERS

Reply to
Eric R Snow

NEVER

As PT Barnum said..."Never give a sucker an even break"

:)

Mike

Reply to
The Davenports

I hope the wager was for an increase in your hourly wage.

-- Roger Shoaf If you are not part of the solution, you are not dissolved in the solvent.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

I've used wigglers before and although I can't remember making precise measurements of how close I came I can't remember ever being off enough to tell by fit. I'm quite sure you should be able to get within a few thou (or less) with a 5x or 10x loupe and a wiggler. Now how close you end up by laying things out first and then using a wiggler would depend on how well you lay things out I would think.

John

Please note that my return address is wrong due to the amount of junk email I get. So please respond to this message through the newsgroup.

Reply to
John Flanagan

On 24 Jul 2003 14:00:54 -0700, jd snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (John B.) wrote something ......and in reply I say!:

I was going to make a smartarse remark, so OOI I checked that I was saying the right thing, when quoting Barnum.

Interestingly:

From Britannica

Though the cynicism "There's a sucker born every minute" has long been attributed to Barnum, there is no proof that he ever wrote or spoke these words.

Now, to what I was going to say:

Actually Barnum said "There's a sucker born every minute"........he would be wrong to say "A sucker is born every minute". Suckers were born yesterday!

****************************************************************************************** Huh! Old age!. You may hate it, but let me tell you, you can't get by for long without it!

Nick White --- HEAD:Hertz Music Please remove ns from my header address to reply via email !!

Reply to
Old Nick

Bob May sez: " ... I work in electronics".

Are you bragging or complaining? Or do you mean you eat little enough to keep thin in order to squeeze in between all those electrons?

Bob Swinney

Reply to
Bob Swinney