Electric chainsaw motor

On Thu, 09 Nov 2017 14:46:39 -0500, Joseph Gwinn

I agree. I thought maybe Jim knows more about it, because he lives with it.

Yup. I'm less than 3 miles from tidewater and 6 miles from Raritan Bay in NJ. We lost power with Irene in 2011, but it was restored in less than two days. We never lost power with Sandy.
--
Ed Huntress

https://globalresilience.northeastern.edu/2017/10/new-england-storm-causes-widespread-power-outages/ "Drought conditions across much of Maine may have contributed to the large numbers of trees that toppled during a storm that walloped the Northeast this week, officials said."
The more rural areas of New Hampshire are also the slowest to be restored, as they prioritize the repairs that will help the most people. Maine is settled one town deep along the coast and much of the interior is sparsely populated.
-jsw

William Pentland is a professional agitator. https://muckrack.com/william-pentland/articles?page=3
On Thu, 9 Nov 2017 16:53:13 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"

Does that mean you disagree that distribution is the problem?
--
Ed Huntress

The storm blew down trees that broke power lines and poles, so in that sense distribution was a problem. The bucket trucks have a safe wind limit of 35(??) MPH which the last storm exceeded all the next day, delaying restoration. The news said a crew could install two poles per day. One of their anchors took Pole Climbing 101 and demonstrated that he already has the right job.
A crew had just trimmed the trees near the lines here a week before but they don't touch trees on private property that are further back. I did ask. https://www.eversource.com/Content/general/residential/programs-services/tree-trimming
Eversource serves NH, MA and CT but not Maine, so I know nothing of conditions there. Eversource brings in crews from all over the Northeast and some from Canada to repair damage quickly, and loans crews out for their problems. I think I've seen a truck from Ohio. Smaller independents are slower to restore power.
Eversource has crews on standby for another windstorm tonight.
-jsw
On Thu, 9 Nov 2017 18:39:23 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"

Somehow I thought you lived in Maine. Is it NH?
--
Ed Huntress

Ned Simmons lives in Maine, I'm in NH. I grew up in Exeter and bicycled as far as Greenland. -jsw
On Thu, 9 Nov 2017 19:33:42 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"

Aha. Now I remember. The memory is the second thing to go. d8-)
I guess we talked about Greenland, which is where my family is from, since around 1675 or 1680.
--
Ed Huntress

Straight man: "What's the first?"
On Thu, 9 Nov 2017 19:44:44 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"

I used to know, but I forgot...
--
Ed Huntress

Jim Wilkins wrote:

The crew that restored my power (N. Central Florida) after Irma were form where I had lived in Ohio. I talked with them for about ten minutes while they ordered a new 40' pressure treated power pole, and discussed what had changed in the last 30 years.
They were stunned to learn that I had managed to get their company's authorization to pole mount a NEMA cabinet with a single 'Heterodyne Signal Processor' to interconnect the community loops of two different CATV companies. The design only worked because one system was sub split (below NTSC Ch 2), and the other was mid split (Between NTSC Chs 6-7).
You needed a minimum of Ch 2 and Ch 13 to set system gain controls. I fed Ch 2 from 'Metrovision' into our subsplit loop, and converted their Ch13 forward channel to T10, return channel. At our headend, I used a pair of additional HSP. One converted T10 to Ch2, to feed to their headend. The second converted Ch2 to Ch13 for the schools in our service area. We provided a clean, NTSC analog modulator to a school in our service area, while Metrovision used the cheapest FM video crap from Catel. We left the control up to Metrovision. Our side looked as good as our main CATV system, while anything provided through Metrovision was smeared.
The design from Metrovison was costed at over $30,000, and was their excuse for never interfacing with United Video Cablevision.
My design was designed and built for under $3000. It took one NEMA box, three RCA HSP, and a handful of splitters that were used as combiners or splitters inside the NEMA box, and two for the headend. I was chewed out at turn on, because my levels were .25 dB hot at initial power up.
The NEMA Enclosure was similar to this.
<https://www.automationdirect.com/adc/Shopping/Catalog/Enclosures_-z-_Subpanels_-z-_Thermal_Management_-z-_Lighting/Enclosures/Padlocking_Enclosures/RHC242408?utm_source=google&utm_medium=product-search&gclidIaIQobChMIruHw9fWy1wIVhjyBCh2cWARtEAYYAyABEgLgT_D_BwE>
On Thu, 9 Nov 2017 18:39:23 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"

Heh, heh, heh. That's a good reality check for a Leftjournalist.

The problem is that wherever the trees can fall on lines, they will in a storm. All trees tall enough to impact lines should be topped (usually not a good idea, but one option) or removed, not just trimmed, if the power line is above ground. It's a binary problem and solution. Fix it or suffer the consequences. Any trees tall enough to impact the lines should be considered to be on the utility's right of way. Yes, the owner should be given the choice of topping or felling, and if they want the wood, the utility can leave the cut remains. All or nothing. State legal teams need to get this to happen. They already have right-of-ways through private property, so this is a small extension.
== Looking at Santa Rosa and Napa Valley should be a clear indication of why this needs to be done. 5,700 homes lost to simple gusty winds because people wouldn't let the utility trim trees. I took the option to ask the tree trimmers hired by Pacific Power to take the whole trees down instead of just trimming them, and they did it for me. The agreement was that I would handle the remains, but when I returned home that day, they had chipped it, too. I asked if they wanted to get rid of the chips and got two truckloads of them, which I installed in place of a front lawn. Win/Win/Win.

Yeah, linesmen are just like firefighters in that respect, swarming from all over to fix a problem ASAP.
--
America rose from abnormal origina. The nation didn't grow organ-
ically or gradually from indigenous tribes--like, say, the French

The owner of roadside trees is generally the town and removing them is an expensive and difficult political issue. People complain in the paper about trees cut on private property.
I recently had my property lines surveyed and found that one corner was out on the pavement. The town engineer's map of the road right-of-way overlaps my deed by nearly 20', as he showed me with his cell phone GPS. He prefers to avoid stirring up trouble. -jsw
On Fri, 10 Nov 2017 09:55:27 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"

Which is why it needs to be addressed like the community problem it is. State-level. Dis -aincho- tree, Mr. Nimby.

Power outages are "large stir", sir.
--
America rose from abnormal origins. The nation didn't grow organ-
ically or gradually from indigenous tribes--like, say, the French

All that matters is which authority figure can be blamed, in this case God or Mother Nature.
On Sat, 11 Nov 2017 08:16:40 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"

Yeah, sucks. The Outraged Left need to be put in their places by common sense things like keeping weapons (trees) out of the range of our electric infrastructure (targets), period. Trim around them or bury the utility where possible, giving them the choice, but one or the other must be done. For the Santa Rosa fires to have happened in the first place lends enough nasty reality to warrant the changes immediately everywhere in the world, should they be sane enough to choose wisely. Continue draining the swamp. MAGA
--
America rose from abnormal origins. The nation didn't grow organ-
ically or gradually from indigenous tribes--like, say, the French
On Thu, 9 Nov 2017 12:43:58 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"

(Shhhh! They're getting closer.)
--
America rose from abnormal origina. The nation didn't grow organ-
ically or gradually from indigenous tribes--like, say, the French

Here is a good analysis of PWM vs MPPT: https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/White-paper-Which-solar-charge-controller-PWM-or-MPPT.pdf On Amazon PWM controllers go for $20 or less, MPPTs for $100 and up.
I use a metered adjustable linear regulator to top up and mildly equalize batteries with power from my HF 45W kit. As they near full charge the batteries draw less than the full current the panels can provide and easy voltage adjustment becomes more important than controller efficiency. 1.5A is enough for the marine batteries, 1.0A for the vehicles. A Schottky diode in the regulator keeps battery current from feeding back if I step on the wires and crush them together against a stone. -jsw

At 11AM the two 100W panels were sending 175W into the batteries through a $20 PWM controller. I can't justify a $100 MPPT controller to gain 25W. -jsw
On Sat, 11 Nov 2017 11:28:38 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"

Not at this level of play. When you get into kilowatts and battery banks, they make sense.
--
Shake off all the fears of servile prejudices, under which weak minds
are servilely crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call on her