Chainsaw advice?

Hi folks. I just scored a chainsaw from my neighbors trash. It is mostly complete, which worries me a little bit. (don't want to spend more than it is worth on parts)

The saw is a Stihl Wood Boss, 024 AV, Electronic Quickstop.

I am not a chainsaw guy, but I understand that Stihl is a decent brand. I have ordered a manual from Stihl, but they appear to only cater to dealers with parts and technical info and parts lists.

Can anyone recommend a source of info (preferably on the web) for this particular brand or for saws in general?

How does 70 psi from a compression test sound?

Thanks, Andy Lynn, MA

Reply to
andy

andy wrote in article ...

Mainly because the bulk of their business is with "professional" woodsmen. The disposable "homeowner" version of the saw isn't the best thing to come down the pike.......

If it is a Stihl "homeowner's" saw, you just might be able to sneak it back into the neighbor's trash without him noticing it......

It is likely he knew what he was doing when HE first placed it there.......

Reply to
*

The better Stihl saws are really nice saws. I have a 290, 20" oak log in less than a minute without pushing it. Stihl pretty much protects their dealers since most of their sales are to serious users.

Compar> Hi folks. I just scored a chainsaw from my neighbors trash. It is

Reply to
RoyJ

Why is it trashed? Something simple? otherwise, if you NEED a chainsaw, get an electric!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Did you ask your neighbor why they tossed it? Have you tried to start it?

Excellent little saw. Mines about 10 years old now and never has given me a minute of grief.

Correct. Is there a Stihl dealer near you? If you really don't know anything about them, I'd take it in and have them take a look at it. Not much can go wrong unless some clown runs straight gas in 'em.

Snarl

Reply to
snarl

That's a nice little saw.

The most common problem with two cycles is dirt. And leaving gasoline in the machine to turn into varnish. Clean it real well, especially the air filter. Try to start it with new gas and maybe a new plug.

Unfortunately, if this don't work, its cheaper to buy a new saw than to take it in.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Thanks for all the responses. My neighbor tells me his son used it as a prop for a halloween costume (has traces of fake blood on the bar) , and does not know what is wrong with it.

Here is a list of things I can see wrong with it.

  1. missing chain
  2. missing sprocket and outer clutch drum (I assume they are one piece)
  3. missing plug and plug boot (wire appears to be full length, but boot is gone)
  4. missing rubber shock type thing which links the handle assembly to the crankcase assembly.
  5. missing oil tank cap
  6. missing fuel line, grommet which seals fuel line into tank, and fuel line weighted pickup.
  7. missing kick-back brake "knuckle protector" (mechanism is all there, but handle missing)

I am laughing as I type this. OK, OK, it is not worth fixing. I just cant help myself when I see neat things in the trash.

To anyone who wants it: send me some postage and an address and it's yours.

andy wrote:

Reply to
andy

"Tom Gardner" wrote

Huh?

Is that like an electric car? They have found out how to make good electric cars, but they haven't found a way to make a two thousand mile extension cord.

I need a chain saw to go cut some wood way out in the woods. Now, do I take a gas saw or an electric?

Wait. Wait. I know this one.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Nah... c'mon, Steve. That's not quite fair.

I own three chainsaws (20-acres means two guys go at it at once when working the brush!). Both gas saws are maintained and working fine, thanks. They're both old, beat up Poulans on their second or third chains and drive sprockets.

But I bought a little 14" electric for quicky work around the house landscaping, and when I need a chainsaw inside my shop, for the odd heavy-wood project. It's a lot less hassle to just reach up on the shelf and plug it in, than it is to check the gas, fill the gas, check the chain oil, fill the chain oil, crank it up and see it still idles right... etc.

There are positive reasons to have both, if you have the varied sorts of work that needs both.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Reply to
RoyJ

I ran across a Stihl 066, Yes an 066 in similar shape. It had been run on straight gas and needed a cylinder and piston that were there, ready to be put on. Beem that way for years judging by the layer of dirt on and stuff piled around it.

Sadly the owner would not part with it though....

Bob

Reply to
rleonard

And don't forget the quick start or easy start modes in 2 cycles. Stihl makes fine stuff. Buy the correct chain. That makes a difference!!!

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH & Endowment Member NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member

RoyJ wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Geeeezzzzz, Steve. I thought you were sharper than that.... 6500 watt generator with 11 HP B&S engine and 100' of 10/3 will do just fine.... Ken.

Reply to
Ken Sterling

Andy, Suggest you "re-dump" this saw. Going to cost a small fortune to get all the parts you need - and the Stihl Factory Service people told me over the phone "if it's over 10 years old, throw it over the hill - we won't support it, won't have parts, part numbers, info, or special tools". I like the way Stihl saws cut - but I hate the saws. Hard to work on, hard to get parts for (and it seems all the parts are proprietary (sp?). Ken.

Reply to
Ken Sterling

In 1986, our former secretary wanted to do some trimming beyond the capacity of my pruning hook. My suggestion to her was to load her emergency generator in the trailer behind her riding mower, and use my

12" electric chain saw and extension cord. I sure wish I had pictures of that 62 year old lady climbing around in forty foot high maple trees, cutting off branches here and there. Gerry :-)} London, Canada
Reply to
Gerald Miller

you may be surprised at just now many after market parts are available for those saws....I admit a Stihl Woodboss 028 AV would be a much better choice for sure as those bring an easy $150 to 175 in non running conditon as long as crankcase is not busted, which they are not usually , and it matters not if they have a bar or sprocket on em. You can get a brand new cylinder and piston for ther 028 for about $136.......bit less for a 024. Lots of dealers have junk saws they sell obsolete odds and ends off of...The o24 was a great saw nonetheless, and its a much better saw than the consumer varients. I would suggest putting it on Ebay, and turn it into a few extra bucks. Its easy enough to see if it stil has compressi9on and spark with what you have to play with, so state it has compression and spark and yu may be pleasantly surprised what the old saw can fetch.....

Reply to
PK

Since you are asking what to do I suspect you already know the answer . No I would not bother . Instead I would walk in the nearest still dealer and hand it over to them . They will likely be thrilled to have it for spare parts . Then with a little goodwill you just earned see if they will not steer you onto a nice used saw . No matter what let someone have the saw for parts , far better to recycle then add to a landfill Luck Ken Cutt

Reply to
Ken Cutt

Reply to
kfvorwerk