Electrolytic rust removal question

Try this site.

Charles Hardin

Of the various solutions I've tried for electrocleaning, I've had the best success with this one:

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards

Yes, it's your formula that I use, Ted, and it works great. I have no idea why some of those ingredients are in there, but it works.

In a tank, I just use washing soda.

Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Your recipe is the one I tell folks about, but perhaps you can shed some light on it for me.

When I do the calculations for a 55 gallon batch (I have two vats, one

55-gallons and the other over 100-gallons) that figures out to a very large quantity of washing soda. Out of necessity, I mix my solutions weaker. I still get all the current draw that my power supplies can handle.

Orrin

Reply to
Orrin Iseminger

What's the question?

Your weaker solution will have lower conductivity but, from your last sentence, that is irrelevent to the current flow. Do you find it just as effective as a higher concentration?

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards

Other than current draw, is there any advantage to mixing my solutions as strong as your recipe calls for?

Because of the size of the parts I de-rust and the size of my "waste" electrodes, I'm able to load all my DC power supplies to their rated capacity, 10 amperes.

I've only mixed a five gallon batch according to your recipe. I've never been able to see any difference between the results it brings and the results my weaker solutions yield in the large tanks.

Orrin

.
Reply to
Orrin Iseminger

Regarding tanks, have you ever compared the weak solution of Ted's formula with the performance of straight washing soda?

Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

The big difference between us is that I was doing occassional cleaning and plating and was concerned about deterioration of solutions sitting around in tanks. I, therefore, pursued brush cleaning and plating and never really tried a more dilute solution in a tank. I would guess that the more dilute solution *might* take longer to work. This would be a PITA for brush work.

I would say that if you don't see any difference in performance, dillute it even further until you do. I would appreciate hearing the results.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards

I tend to use clothes washing powder, with a bit of bicarbonate of soda if I have it lying around. Seems to work ok for me. I suspect that anything ionic, basic and with non strongly-oxidising ions will do the job.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

I was asked to give a demonstration, once, and couldn't find any washing soda. So, I used Arm and Hammer Fabricare, instead. It worked, but the suds were a nuisance.

Orrin

Reply to
Orrin Iseminger