Electrolytic rust removal

I know there's a lot about this subject on the net, but would anyone be interested in my own recent work with it? I've got some before and after pix and a few notes that may have excaped some readers. If you don't know what I'm talking about it's a great way to get red rust off of any iron/steel stuff and it can't hurt the material. It uses non toxic chemicals (bicarbonate of soda or washing soda). You can't overdo it either.

If a get a couple of positive responses, I will put up a page on my website.

Pete Stanaitis

PS If you live in eastern MN or western WI, not that the Nowthen MN Threshing show is this weekend, Fri, Sat and Sun. We have a really nice blacksmith shop with 5 forges going constantly. There is plenty of room in the shop for visitors to sit or stand and watch. There is even a row of windows along the parade route. Best place to be on a rainy day, too.

Pete Stanaitis

---------------------

Reply to
spaco

I, for one, would appreciate the electrolytic pages, Pete.

While there has been discussion off and on, seeing, for me, is a great help.

Reply to
RAM³

me too. I've used it a few times for various things - always had a problem remembering which terminal goes where tho...

Used it once to "age" a replica pistol for a display (by connecting in reverse).

Reply to
bigegg

Put the info up - I have been doing it for years, and recovered a few things I thought were beyond help. Having always been disappointed with nostrums such as naval jelly, having a system that really works on serious rust is nice. On the other hand, hydrogen embrittlement is a real issue, per discussions on the (woodworking) old tools list - but not too hard to solve, particularly on thin sections (let it get nice and warm after it's done, and stay that way for a few hours).

Reply to
Ecnerwal

Thanks for putting that up. I've been cleaning up a lot of old rusted tools the past month using concrete etch acid of some type (phosphoric maybe?). That works well for getting rid of the rust but also removes a bit of metal and any chrome as well. I'll have to experiment with your technique and see how it compares.

Reply to
Curt Welch