Rust removal

Acquired a LOT of HO scale slot car track recently. The rails and end connections are rusty, some very little, others, a lot. Need recommendations on the best, non-abrasive way to remove this, without damaging the styrene track itself. Preferably non-toxic.

Reply to
Steve Walker

======= Try electrolytic de rusting. Should be a piece of cake if you have a battery charger, plastic tub or dish pan, and some bicarb or washing soda

?action=display&board=general&thread=4841&page=1#46588
Be sure to let the group know what you use and how you make out.

-- Unka George (George McDuffee) .............................. The past is a foreign country; they do things differently there. L. P. Hartley (1895-1972), British author. The Go-Between, Prologue (1953).

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

I use Ted Edward's method of electrolytic removal, with a swab. It's especially good for delicate work.

The formula is a little complicated, and I don't know if it's all really necessary. But I follow it explicitly. If you can't find lye, ask. Or search on "Red Devil Lye." It's no longer available from Red Devil, but I buy mine from a company in FL that sells plastic bottles of straight lye, and I found them with that search.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Steve Walker wrote in news:7YednYfJbMT_T1DQnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Find some Evapo-Rust

It's available at soem better hardware stores, AutoZone, & Harbor Freight. Shop around, prices tend to vary considerably.

Afterward, rinse with denatured alcohol.

Doug White

Reply to
Doug White

About how much would shipping be to 33569?

Reply to
Hactar

Gunner Asch on Sat, 14 May 2011 09:03:43 -0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Yes!

Nertts, I knew there would be a catch. Unless my rich uncle gets out of the poor house, or I get a good job soon, I'm SOF.

"Never Mind."

tschus pyotr

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

I guess this could be a somewhat complex problem. It isn't just the steel that is rusted, but it must have been plated with something to aid in conducting electricity and you probably don't want to destroy that. I know a guy who seriously collects erector sets and he uses an oxalic acid solution to de-rust the plated parts. I tried it on some of my erector set stuff and it seems to work pretty well. I think I bought a container of about one pint in size of oxalic acid powder. Don't remember the concentration, but it wasn't very critical. You might also try "Bartender's Friend", which, I think, also contains oxalic acid and is sold at almost any grocery store. It's for cleaning stainless steel kitchen tools.

As with anything like this, try a sample of your intended process before tossing the whole works in the tub.

Pete Stanaitis

---------------

Reply to
Pete S

Don't you have any beer bottles? I hear they are worth more. Especially when full! :-)

DOC

Will work for beer...

doc

Try Evap-o-rust found at autozone. It seems rather benign. My boss found a use for it removing flash rust on our ground shafts.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Gunner Asch on Sun, 15 May 2011 03:39:27 -0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

No rush, and I'll do that.

Thanks. Which is why I'm also ... not wanting to take advantage of a friend. And .. right now I'm not sure about getting more stuff, at least till I get income again.

Yep. me too. Let me figure out where I'd put anything (I got into the bins of stuff while I was moving to Spokane - those cans of worms need to be repack just so I can turn around!

Reply to
pyotr filipivich