Rust removal

Haven't tried it.
I'm using the ZEP rust remover from Home Depot. It's working well.
Need to find more things to derust and see how long it lasts. Haven't
been able to find any info on it.
Karl
Reply to
kfvorwerk
That's a sweet solution, VBG
Reply to
Karl Townsend
How interesting. I will certainly give it a try. My wife uses molasses in breadmaking, so buys it in bulk. Cheaper still that way. Takes a quart jar to the local health food store and they fill it.
Thanks, Paul, KD7HB
Reply to
co_farmer
Let us know how it works. Karl
Reply to
kfvorwerk
Since H2So4 does a nice job - I use professional plummer drain cleaner - strong solution of H2So4.
Might be that the brand of black strap is containing sulfur - common. Most state de-sulfurized.
I bet the de version wouldn't work.
Martin
Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Endowment Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal. NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member.

Karl Townsend wrote:
Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn
I'm not a chemist, but I'm pretty sure most drain cleaners are strong caustics, not acids
Karl
Reply to
Karl Townsend
There are both lye based as well as sulphuric acid based cleaners. Your Ace Hardware probably has a bottle of concentrated, 80%, sulfuric acid, sold as drain cleaner, that you can buy and use as drain cleaner. It is very serious stuff and works very well. Dissolves human hair, etc. Such a bottle lives on a shelf in my garage and I can attest to its efficacy. It converts at least a part of the scum from drains, into stinky H2S.
Ignoramus2733
This isn't the kiddie stuff in the shopping centers -
This stuff is the real nasty stuff that eats drains if it has to.
Limited use from a plummer section.
It is used to dissolve proteins and fat/grease and melt it by a reactive hot solution. I keep it out of the shop.
Puts a nice gray surface on scale iron - taking the scale off.
Martin Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Endowment Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal. NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member.

Karl Townsend wrote:
Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn
Normally it is lye and has and and converts grease into 'soap'. When Drain-O and such doesn't work - the plummer pulls out the big Bomb.
Martin Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Endowment Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal. NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member.

Karl Townsend wrote:
Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn
I have some that is straight H2SO4. Mpst, however is Caustic Soda in some form.
Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca
And one drains lots of water afterwards less drains are messed up.
I remember when the cast iron pipe that ran overhead in the physics department split open. Seems that for years a slow and ever present drip of acid from all work stations (chemistry lab) above us ate the bottom of the pipe out.
Replaced it with Quartz that is really protective.
Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Endowment Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal. NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member.

Ignoramus2733 wrote:
Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn
yes, though it applies less to plastic piping.
This 80% stuff is very scary. I am afraid that they may stop selling it.
Ignoramus2733
IIRC some of the drain cleaners used to be lye with flakes of aluminium included to create a foaming action - didn't help much when the no slope drain from the kitchen sink in the mobile home was 95% full of compacted coffee grounds. Much work with the plunger, particularly on the pull stroke got things moving again. Gerry :-)} London, Canada
Reply to
Gerald Miller