Electronic pickpocket

Legit or not, I do not know. It is any interesting concept to think about
http://www.wreg.com/videobeta/?watchId a6f8fc-90a2-4711-90ea-1884ec348310
Comments?
Gerry wrote:

Ah yes , good 'ol WREG did that piece a few days ago . Only works if your card has an RFID chip . Works on passports too because now they all have a chip , but there is a solution . Just wrap it in foil . I believe the term they used was Faraday cage ... any metallic enclosure is supposed to block the RF query .
--
Snag
Learning keeps
Snag
Learning keeps
I have no idea why my posts are all doubled today . Not just here , all newsgroups have been affected .
--
Snag
Learning keeps
I have no idea why my posts are all doubled today . Not just here , all newsgroups have been affected .
--
Snag
Learning keeps
Snag wrote:

Or just get an RF bag from just about any electronics store. OR visit your local place that deals with the RF tags used on toll roads. They have an RF bag for the units so that you can stop it from being used as needed.
You could even be tricky and make a nice fitted case for your passport that blocks RF. Just use some thin leather/material with an RF blocker between the layers. Probably available online or even from the place you got the passport.
--
Steve W.

Gerry wrote:

Ah yes , good 'ol WREG did that piece a few days ago . Only works if your card has an RFID chip . Works on passports too because now they all have a chip , but there is a solution . Just wrap it in foil . I believe the term they used was Faraday cage ... any metallic enclosure is supposed to block the RF query .
--
Snag
Learning keeps
In article

First of all, there is no trick. They really can do this, and while the commercial reader used here has a range of a few inches, the trick can be used ten to one hundred feet away with the right equipment.
<http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2009/02/cloning_rfid_pa_1.html
What will pretty much abolish the response is a credit-card size piece of 0.020" brass stock kept in the stack with the real credit cards. That's what the ID badge thing did, the one where if open the card could be scanned, but if closed no scan.
Also, I bet a couple of chipped credit cards in a stack will all respond in unison, garbling each other's responses.
Joe Gwinn

Scary chit, Maynard. Luckily, it doesn't get the security number from the back...but does the new RFID number require one?
-- Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed. -- Storm Jameson
Gerry wrote:

I was warned about this sort of thing last time I was in Holland earlier in the year. In that case it wasn't credit cards but RFID travel cards that were having money electronically removed in the same way.
On Mon, 29 Nov 2010 10:49:57 +0000, David Billington

That's what the PIN number is for on the new CHIP credit/debit cards. "sumpthin' to show, and sumpthin' to know".

Site Timeline

  • - the site's newest thread. Posted in