Electronic pickpocket

Legit or not, I do not know. It is any interesting concept to think about

Comments?

Reply to
Gerry

Ah yes , good 'ol WREG did that piece a few days ago . Only works if your card has an RFID chip . Works on passports too because now they all have a chip , but there is a solution . Just wrap it in foil . I believe the term they used was Faraday cage ... any metallic enclosure is supposed to block the RF query .

Reply to
Snag

Ah yes , good 'ol WREG did that piece a few days ago . Only works if your card has an RFID chip . Works on passports too because now they all have a chip , but there is a solution . Just wrap it in foil . I believe the term they used was Faraday cage ... any metallic enclosure is supposed to block the RF query .

Reply to
Snag

I have no idea why my posts are all doubled today . Not just here , all newsgroups have been affected .

Reply to
Snag

I have no idea why my posts are all doubled today . Not just here , all newsgroups have been affected .

Reply to
Snag

I have no idea why my posts are all doubled today . Not just here , all newsgroups have been affected .

Reply to
Snag

Or just get an RF bag from just about any electronics store. OR visit your local place that deals with the RF tags used on toll roads. They have an RF bag for the units so that you can stop it from being used as needed.

You could even be tricky and make a nice fitted case for your passport that blocks RF. Just use some thin leather/material with an RF blocker between the layers. Probably available online or even from the place you got the passport.

Reply to
Steve W.

First of all, there is no trick. They really can do this, and while the commercial reader used here has a range of a few inches, the trick can be used ten to one hundred feet away with the right equipment.

What will pretty much abolish the response is a credit-card size piece of 0.020" brass stock kept in the stack with the real credit cards. That's what the ID badge thing did, the one where if open the card could be scanned, but if closed no scan.

Also, I bet a couple of chipped credit cards in a stack will all respond in unison, garbling each other's responses.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

Scary chit, Maynard. Luckily, it doesn't get the security number from the back...but does the new RFID number require one?

-- Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed. -- Storm Jameson

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I was warned about this sort of thing last time I was in Holland earlier in the year. In that case it wasn't credit cards but RFID travel cards that were having money electronically removed in the same way.

Reply to
David Billington

That's what the PIN number is for on the new CHIP credit/debit cards. "sumpthin' to show, and sumpthin' to know".

Reply to
clare