Evolution cut off saw

Another cut-off saw question. I ran across the Evolution "cold" cutoff saw on the web. Does anyone have any experience/opinion on this thing?

The blades are somewhat consumable, but price-wise it seems to be about the same as abrasive saws in the end. ($90 for 800+ cuts)

Larry A

Reply to
Larry

They work very well. Kind of scary well actually.

It is a bit cheaper to just buy a Morse Metal-Devil blade or Tenryu Steelpro blade and mount it in a wormdrive skilsaw. Cheaper and works great.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Maybe I'll give that a try in my chop saw and see how it goes. If it works great, I can buy a cheaper metal cut-off saw to put it in, (To get a proper vice mount) $150 instead of $450 for the saw itself would be nice.

Thanks!

Larry A

Reply to
Larry

The RPM may be too high. Check the specs.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

We had in the Metalworking factory I used to work. About a medium size with about 30 inch blade dia. We cut heavy angle iron and other profiled stuff on it, with about .5 inch wall thickness. Not sure how long the blades lasted, I never had to change one. But must have been month between resharpening. Not sure about the Dollar tradeoffs but I believe the main reason for choosing the machine is its speed. Takes only seconds to cut through a heavy beam. Dose use flood coolant. Clean cuts no heat buildup on the ends. Not sure how a smaller unit would do on these but the cost of new blades is probably high, but will last far more then 800 cuts, we did about 5000 cuts a day for month. Good Luck

Reply to
Torsten

Wasn't that a cold saw? The Evolution is a dry cut saw.

Reply to
ATP