faster way to turn down part of a rod?

I need to turn down about 0.5" of the end of an aluminum rod from

1.875" to about 1.1" so that I can thread the end. I am using a Sherline lathe--cute, small, not terribly powerful, so trying to remove more than .020" at a pass produces some serious struggles between cutting tool and workpiece. Can anyone suggest a technique or tool to speed up the rough removal of the excess aluminum, without moving up to a more $$$ lathe?

Clayton E. Cramer snipped-for-privacy@claytoncramer.com

Reply to
clayton

Just keep working at it. It'll get there in time.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Hmmm....

I don't get it, unless you need to do many rods. That's only about 20 passes. Not fast, sure, but not more than 10 minutes work, even on that little machine.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Just to clean up the math here....

(1.875 - 1.1) / .020 = 39 passes

0.5 / .020 = 25 passes

Reply to
Curt Welch

A 0.020 cut will remove 0.040 from the diameter for each revolution. Hench the number of passes would be cut in half.

Howard Garner

Reply to
Howard R Garner

On my SB9 I have a similar problem. When I have to hog off a lot, I often put the spindle in backgear and run it really slowly but take much deeper cuts. That way I can take off 1/8" depth in one cut. You can't have a real aggressive feed, but it peels off quicker this way.

Can't hurt to try.

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Could you change the design and simply drill for a press fit of a threaded bolt?

Reply to
Wayne Lundberg

Crom..Im glad I have real machines....

Gunner, who takes off .200 per pass on chrome moly without breaking a swea

Political Correctness

Gunner

I guess you don't do "lathe math". A 0.020 cut takes 0.040 off the diameter.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Depends on whether or not you have direct reading graduations on the dials.

Reply to
John L. Weatherly

An old toolmaking friend of mine showed me a lathe tool that he uses for that sort of thing. Apparently its a common, but old fashioned, tool that has been superseded by tipped tools. I found it rather more efficient than my tipped facing tools, and can take surprisingly big cuts. Here's a URL to a diagram of it.

lemel_man

I'll do just the opposite... take a smaller cut (maybe .010" - .015") and crank the carriage as fast as I can get away with until the last

10 to 20 thou where I start cleaning it up. That's on an Atlas 618.

-Bruno

Reply to
Bruno

Yep, I make them that way all the time. My old lathe isn't really rigid enough to take advantage of carbide, so I grind most of my tools.

Reply to
Dave Lyon

qx??TMsÓ0½ûWìIáPÅ ¤-mé?é0&pf8+ÖÆÖDÖ}Äø??[?2Óæàx½zOo?4ù)\¬

4èPþ3øûcQC±¿xà¿&?î|:Mà?7ÔN??ûê?T_ù?ú6ÞP?ë^··\
Reply to
Curt Welch

You can do better! ;-)

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

That's nothing more than a HSS right handed tool with a postive rake chip breaker. We old timers use tools like that routinely. What's become of the machining industry, where guys no longer learn to grind tools like that?

I recently posted on the subject. I'll include the link once again for those that may not have seen it in another thread.

I also posted on grinding wheels and a suitable grinder for grinding decent turning tools if you're interested. Lots of good information for those with little experience.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

it.http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m266/lemel_man/tooltip.jpg>

As a beginner in tool grinding, how would you go about making that particular tool? - I can do ones with straight edges ok, but curves like that one has on the work face...??

Andrew VK3BFA.

Reply to
Andrew VK3BFA

Corner of the wheel, Andrew. Corner of the wheel.

Actually, had you the resources, you'd put a thin-sectioned wheel on the grinder and dress it to a round profile to form grooves like that.

But if it's necessary to use a wide wheel, dress the edge contour to what you need, and work slowly, re-dressing as necessary to keep the radius correct.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

snipped-for-privacy@claytoncramer.com wrote in news:1171396409.331648.88100 @p10g2000cwp.googlegroups.com:

Use your cut-off tool to plunge the material off down to where you can do a couple of clean-up passes to finish it.

Reply to
Anthony

True indeed. I need to get a new drive belt for the 15" Clausing. With that one..I can take off nearly a half inch per pass.

Put er in granny low, coolant running, proper tool and gut er in.

Gunner

"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for Western civilization as it commits suicide"

- James Burnham

Reply to
Gunner