Ferrari scale model

You may have seen this before, but I think it's worth a second look:

Pierre Scerri has built a 1:3 scale Ferrari 312PB in SPECTACULAR detail. The model is fully functional in every little detail. Even the tachometer works properly.

Reply to
Robert Roland

That was absolutely freaking amazing! The man that built that is a genius. Jimi

Reply to
Jimi

Let's see. He said that he's spent around 20,000 hours working on it. That's roughly 10 man-years to machine every screw and copy every detail. I no longer think that the modeling I do is insanely detailed. This is! But it's beautiful!

Norm

Reply to
Norm Dresner

I think there is a tidbit in there that might go missed, but is SO important for this group's morale and aspirations, that it can't be overstated: He said, "I had to learn all of the skills to do these things" (my interpretation, but in so many words).

With what appears to be a relatively basic metalworking shop (I see a little CNC stuff there, I think) he bootstrapped his capabilities up to what's necessary to do simply incredible work.

We should be both amazed and INSPIRED.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

This has been around for some time but that takes nothing from the car or the man. He built a functional fuel injection system, a battery, glass for the lights, even hand wound the coils in the guages. All to scale. Have a look here for a little more detail.

Magnificent, absolutely magnificent.

John

Reply to
John

Quite amazing! And, there are several guys doing similar level of work that show their models at the NAMES show. I have to say that his engine sounded quite good! Some of the model engines at NAMES run a bit ragged. Maybe he needs to put a bolt-on/bolt-off RC control package into the thing so he could actually "drive" it around.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Unfortunately it wouldn't work. Apart from the fact that it would detract from the purity of the design, driving a car like that with a manual gearbox requires a balanced input from the driver to feel the controls. RC doesn't do that.

John

Reply to
John

Hey it's 1/3 scale (4" to the foot for steam folk). He doesn't need radio control, he needs a well trained four year old :-)

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

That's why it would have to be a bolt-on/bolt-off RC setup. A box that fits in the driver's seat, and works all the controls.

driving a car like that with a

I'm not saying he has to be able to drive it well enough to win a race, just to see it actually move under it's own power, rather than sitting on a table spinning the wheels in the air. The clutch could be tricky!

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson