Fish scale patern on a mill table

Look very closely at this picture and try to see "beyond" the dirt and grime. I see what looks like fish scale pattern. Would you agree?

Ignoramus30426

According to Ignoramus30426 :

You mean the "flaking"? Yep! *And* it looks like you got one with chrome plated ways, too, so it will wear less.

Once it is cleaned off and properly lubed with Vactra No. 2 waylube, the next trick is whether the pattern goes all the way along those ways to the back. The ends tend to wear less, and if you see a major difference in the middle of the length, you may want to get the ways re-done.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Iggy,

I got fish-eyed from looking, but no scales. Not even a fin. Nor gills either. Did you have any particular species in mind? Bass? Trout? Muskie?

Or, maybe, "SUCKER" !

Thanks, that was a good one.

What will you fish up next?

Flash

Reply to
Flash

Thanks DoN. I will check it out. This mill belonged to a book publishing company, so I assume it was not used on a day to day basis.

Ignoramus30426

I meant the species that is called "fish scale pattern" or "flaking".

Ignoramus30426

Those are designed to hold way oil. As Don mentioned Vactra #2 is the oil of choice. You can buy a gallon from Mcmaster Carr.

Hopefully the wear in the middle is low. The felts in your wipers are likely shot.

Wes

Reply to
clutch

[snip I've been wondering where the knee serial number is so I can look my machine up. Based on your picture, I think your machine was built in 1976.

Wes

Reply to
clutch

Never heard of flaking referred to as a fish scale but that sure describes it well. :^)

Reply to
Tony

I was not sure what was the right term, fish scale pattern or flaking. Hopefully I will pick the mill up on Tuesday.

Ignoramus32070