Flood Coolant for Diamond wheel

What are the options for this ? I know water soluble is one . Are there any other ? Is everything else a poor second ? I am helping guy set up a profile grinder for molder knives . The building might not be heated come winter is the reason I am asking . Any other tips I can pass along about using a diamond wheel ? Actually this machine came with a couple of dozen wheels to fit various set-ups . Ken Cutt

Reply to
Ken Cutt

Hope those knives are carbide. Diamonds are carbon and ferrous metals absorb carbon and your wheel will wear away very shortly. If you are cutting steel use a cbn wheel.

John

Reply to
John

I can not say about all the knives as it is not my machine but I can guess that the bulk of the knives will be tool steel . I thought grinding steel with diamond was ok as long as you keep everything cool ? No planer mill I ever heard of could afford the bulk of their knives to be carbide . As an example . This one machine has 6 cutter heads with (guessing as I have not counted ) 14 cutters per head . Thats a lot of carbide . I would like any info at all as I have never used a diamond wheel . If they will not do tool steel , well that would be information well worth knowing . Thanks Ken Cutt

Reply to
Ken Cutt