Flood Coolant

I just acquired a 7X12 handsaw that has the ability to use flood coolant . I have no experience with coolant and was wondering what you folks recommend . It had water soluble which would be fine I guess . I was wondering if light oil might be a better option ? Also the tank is pretty grungy , so I will pressure wash it out . If I use something other then water soluble will the old stuff contaminate the new ? How fussy should I be ? Do I need to pull and flush the pump ? Ken Cutt

Reply to
Ken Cutt

It's been years since I last purchased and used coolants, but one thing is for sure: If you intend to use the sump, clean it well. Yes, the old stuff will contaminate the new. Coolant is notorious for stinking, especially if it's not used regularly. If you don't want to dismantle it, most tool supply houses that sell coolants also sell cleaners that you can circulate through the machine.

It wouldn't be a problem with your saw, but one of the chief reasons coolants give trouble is the mixing of lubricating oils with the coolant. That's the reason they make oil skimmers.

Oil for machining is quite messy, but could prove to be the best choice for you if you expect to use the saw infrequently. Don't use it if you have rubber lined wheels (you're not likely to)..

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

I used to usewater soluable oil on my bandsaw, but the metals cut, usually have an oily film or coat on them and it was always making globs of crud, so I got away from water soluable types. I use regular ATF (Automatic Transmission Fluid) in everything now. It works works fine for what I do, has not odor that amounts to nayhting and is certainly better than nothing, and its easy to wipe off, and any oily material readily mixes with it.

============================================== Put some color in your cheeks...garden naked!

~~~~ } ~~~~~~ } ~~~~~~~ }

Reply to
~Roy~

Be carefull with the pressure washer or be aware. I cleaned mine and disturbed the rust and ended up with a hundred pin holes. I'm using a cheap water soluable oil on my grinder and am happy. It's been over a year and it doesn't stink yet. Hearold is the guru here, see what he says.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Yep! I hate water soluble oils, so much so that I have never used any of them in my own equipment, and for exactly the reasons you stated. Recent conversations with another RCM entity lead me to believe that they are better formulated today, although I have no way of knowing that it's true. Could be the level of acceptance between this person, who is highly skilled, and myself, is way different. After all, there are those that ran soluble oil years ago that didn't seem to mind the fact that it made machinery so sticky you had a hard time letting go when you touched the handles.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

ATF would be a lot simpler for me . No mixing and no rust :-) . The saw seems to cut fine now with nothing at all . I made half a dozen cuts in

1/2 X 2 and the blade did not even feel warm after . I think I will go with the AFT but pass on the gardening naked , just have to live with pale cheeks I guess . Thanks Ken Cutt
Reply to
Ken Cutt

Another problem I did not think of before is my saw will likely sit in an unheated shop come winter . I think if ATF is up to the task it will be a better fit for me . Ken Cutt

Reply to
Ken Cutt

I will check it out as best I can . The bottom of the tank has some real thick grunge now . Maybe for the sump I will try using a tank of varsol and a stiff brush instead of the pressure washer . What about setting the pump in clean varsol and just pumping that through until the fluid seems clean ? Or dismantle the pump ? Ken Cutt

Reply to
Ken Cutt