flood coolant for bandsaw?

I'm considering getting a larger cutoff bandsaw, one with integral coolant capability. To date I have never run a machine with flood coolant because of the
mess factor. I don't know about buying coolant. What do you guys recommend for running in a 10x16" bandsaw?
Grant

When I run the coolant in mine I use Super Sawzit. It's a contrate to mix with water so a gallon goes a long way.
http://www.wttool.com/product-exec/product_id/5846/nm/Super_Sawzit_reg_
But I haven't been using my saw enough lately so it usually evaporates to too low a level for the pump to pick up it. It's not worth the trouble to top it off for a few cuts so I use a Cut-Ease stick, by the makers of Tap-Ease.
http://www.wttool.com/product-exec/product_id/6180/nm/Cut_Ease_Stick_Lubricant
"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

Grant Erwin wrote:

Most blade mfgrs recommend a mix of 20 to 1 or five percent coolant to water. I have never bought it in less than a five gallon bucket but I would imagine they have smaller quantities available. Coolant will go rancid if it stands any length of time. If you pump a little air through it the coolant will stay fresh. If you really want to do it right you need a refractometer to measure the concentration. If the coolant becomes too concentrated, do not and water only, but a less concentrated mix of water and coolant.
John
I use the Rustlick brand of water soluable oil, cheapest formulation, seems to work just fine.
Tony

of the

for
Grant Erwin wrote:

My saw sits in an unheated area so I have been running ATF fluid for the last year . Never having used water based I can not say if there is a difference one way or the other . Other then cutting up welding bottles my blades seem to last . The reason I thing the bottles were so tough on me was engaged in two cuts 9 inches apart with multi pitched blades . Only a 7X12 saw so not sure if the size might make a difference . Luck Ken Cutt
On Mon, 08 Jan 2007 16:57:21 -0800, Grant Erwin

I use used machine tool cutting oil, which I can get by the drum before it goes out to be disposed of. I tend to dump whatever used cutting oil is at hand into the tank as long as its oil, not water based. Waterbased stuff evaporates way way too fast where I live in the summertime for it to be worth my while messing with.,
I think at the moment..its filled with high sulphur cutting oil from a screw machine shop. Shrug...seems to work just hunky and the blades last a long time.
Gunner
You want something that will not contaminate welds. We use a product that is water soluble yet can be used at higher concentrations for tapping and threading. With environmental rules etc. you also want something that is not going to alarm some nosy bylaw officer. I will look at the brand today. In some places even draining your compressor tank can get you into problems. Randy
I'm considering getting a larger cutoff bandsaw, one with integral coolant capability. To date I have never run a machine with flood coolant because of the mess factor. I don't know about buying coolant. What do you guys recommend for running in a 10x16" bandsaw?
Grant
Would you mind digging up the product name, Randy? Thanks! - Grant
R. Zimmerman wrote:

On Mon, 08 Jan 2007 16:57:21 -0800, Grant Erwin

Greetings Grant, In your neck of the woods Eastside Saw sells a good water soluble coolant for saws. I used it for a long time before switching to a more expensive type that is used in all my machines. Water soluble coolant will make a big positive difference in blade life, especially when cutting stainless or chrome-moly steels. ERS
JR's famous original stolen coolant formula:
COOLANT FORMULA
1 GALLON LOT
1 GAL    WATER 8 OZ    SOLUABLE OIL 1 OZ    BORAX 1/2 OZ    TSP JR Dweller in the cellar
Grant Erwin wrote:

We have good luck with the Valenite Val Cool coolants.
We use the VNT 800 in our CNC machines and bandsaws.
Great sump life and price ( $65.00 for 5 gal concentrate )
Grant: We are using Valcool on the saw at work. It does not give us weld problems. I will get the number. The foreman has a concentrate that we use for threading and is compatible with the coolant. Randy