Foot Speed Control For Universal AC/DC Motors

I recently purchased some new and used foot speed controls for universal type motors, the AC/DC brush and commutator type motors commonly found in many Foredom and other flex shaft motors, early Dremel Moto and other brands of rotary tools.

The oldest one I bought was made in the '40s possibly, and uses a carbon resistance type element.

A Foredom model SCR-1, made about '84, has a circuit board with about a dozen fairly common components on an actual circuit board. The clever characteristic of this unit, is a unique twisted section of flat steel, making a helix (kinda like the antique toy tops used a twisted "screw" to make the top spin as it was pushed down from the extended position). This helix is attached to the movable pedal (with a swinging mount to allow it to travel in an arc), and fits into a slot in a low cost pot (the type of PCB-mounted pot with a slot that allows the helix to pass thru it) . As the pedal is pushed down, the pot wiper moves clockwise as the helix twist contact area changes, and then CCW as the pedal is allowed to raise to the stop position. A hole in the ciruit board under the pot allows the helix to pass thru far enough for the pot to make a full sweep of the resistor track. The start switch is activated by a flat section on the rim of the plastic pot disk/dial, it's open when the pot is at zero, then as the pot is advanced, the switch is closed as the flat moves away from the switch (the flat spot functions as a low spot on a cam lobe). The switch is just stamped from plated steel to fabricate the stationary, and the moving arm part of the switch. This model needs a spring to return the pedal to the up/stop position.

A new Foredom model FCT-1 doesn't have a circuit board or a spring, they simply utilize a switch from a variable speed 120VAC power tool (such as drill, saber saw, sander etc). The switch plunger is oriented pointing up at the moveable pedal, so there is no need for clever levers, fulcrums, springs or anything other than the switch. In the full upward position the outlet power is off, press the pedal down and the tool starts and speeds up as the pedal is pressed further down. The odd thing about this model is, the label states that the current capacity is 2.5 A, although the switch itself is clearly marked with a rating of 6 A.

Some fairly recent Linemaster motor speed control units, model/catalog number 980-SC3 are made with variable speed power tool switches, the same as the Foredom FCT-1, but they are labeled as a 6 A rating.

I remember opening an old Necchi foot speed control as a pup, and it had resistance/heater wire on a big ceramic block and a wiper to make a crude rheostat to change the motor speed. Alternate your feet to warm them both.

Reply to
Wild_Bill

Do you have a use for the old style foot controls? Please let me know if so! Several years go, at auction, I purchased a pallet full of steel, bearings, gasket material and who knows what, including half a case of new resistor type foot controls for universal motors. They were part of an estate of a retired machinist. He made custom fishing reel winders. The kind used to put bulk line on spinning reels. The controls varied the speed of winding.

I tried to get drawings and BOM from the survivors, but they never responded. I assume that was all destroyed. There was one sample unit that worked, but no motors.

I never have been able to find a use for the controllers, but have never had the courage to toss them, thinking that as soon as I did, I would need them!

Regards, Paul.

Reply to
co_farmer

Came across this same foot controler Wild_Bill. If you have the time to talk tome about it I'd appreciate it. I know time and knowledge aren't cheap or provided on a whim. Thank you if you are willing.

Reply to
barry2wood

On Thursday, February 19, 2009 at 11:31:43 AM UTC-6, snipped-for-privacy@coinet.com wrot e:

Paul, I could actually use a couple of those. Usually they show up at garag e sales, except when you are looking for one ;)

Reply to
Rex

ote:

And women use them alot for sewing machines.

Reply to
mogulah

Wow! Where do people dredge up these old posts?

I will have to look to see if I have any left. Probable have to shovel the dust off the box!

Paul

Reply to
Paul Drahn

LOL. I had no idea your post was six years old!

Disregard

Rex

Reply to
Rex