Gearmotor use?

>I have acquired a gearmotor. I've known of these and seen plenty, but I

> >have no idea what this one would be good for: > > >1/2 HP > >30 RPM > >6" single-groove Vee-pulley. > > >The only thing comes to mind is a power hacksaw. > >What sorts of things would such a motor be used for? > > Elevation screws on a band mill. > > Wes

I use a cordless drill to raise the head on my bandsaw mill, and lower it by hand. It's easier to move the saw to the logs than vise versa and they are stored way back in the woods, a long reach for enough extension cord to power a 1/2 HP motor.

You could belt it to a trailer rim on a stub axle to make a large faceplate lathe.

Jim Wilkins

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I have one of these driving the drum on the coffee roaster I built out of an old gas bar-be que. Another use might be for motorizing a roll up door. Be careful however, often these are intermittent duty motors and will overheat if used in continuous duty service. Check the name plate.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

If it's continuous duty, it would make a mean rotary tumbler.

Reply to
woodworker88

I use four of these on my apple packing line. Pretty standard gear motor for conveyors.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Karl, that's about what I figured. thanks

Reply to
RB

Coffee roaster , you say ... do tell me more !

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Start here:

.

A word of warning however, once you experience fresh roasted, fresh ground and fresh brewed coffee, most any commercial offering seems like dreck.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

On Thu, 19 Feb 2009 18:40:43 -0800, the infamous "Roger Shoaf" scrawled the following:

True, butcha gotta have the right bean, too.

Viva Sumatran in a full-city (or Italian) roast, NOT French charred!

---------------------------------------------------------- California's 4 Seasons: Fire, Flood, Drought, & Earthquake --------------------------------------

* NoteSHADE(tm) Laptop Glare Guards

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Thanks ! My kids got me a grinder several years ago for father's day . It's been a long slide down a slippery slope ever since . And now I want to try my hand at roasting my own too ...

Reply to
Terry Coombs

On Fri, 20 Feb 2009 05:29:34 -0600, the infamous "Terry Coombs" scrawled the following:

Terry, there was a roaster thread from June '07 featuring Steve Ackman, aka Two Loons Coffee. Googlit as "coffee roaster" for your pleasure.

---------------------------------------------------------- California's 4 Seasons: Fire, Flood, Drought, & Earthquake --------------------------------------

* NoteSHADE(tm) Laptop Glare Guards

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Thanks , Larry , I bookmarked that other site too . I'm no connysewer , but I like a good cuppa . And there's just something about the whole do-it-yourself thing ...

Reply to
Terry Coombs

This one might be more relevant:

Steve Ackman

Amen.

Roast degree names are regional, but USUALLY... French is about the crescendo of 2nd crack, Italian is after 2nd crack has died down.

The normal naming convention has Vienna as the next darker roast after Full City.

Reply to
Steve Ackman

On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 11:44:48 -0500, the infamous Steve Ackman scrawled the following:

Gotcha.

I'm still having trouble with KIVU and their "toss whatever freakin' tasteless bean in the box and call it 'Sumatra Mandheling' attitude."

I may end up having the local coffee bean artistes make it up for me. Their version of Sumatran is a French roast, way too burnt for me. For $12 bloody bux a pound, I can have what I want. The Kivu, when it's actually a Sumatran bean, is extraordinarily good for $6.99/lb.

Say, Steve. Have you heard from your great uncle, Two Loons Lautrec, lately? If you do, ask him why the French _do_ that.

Ciao!

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Local is often the best way to go, especially if that means you can get what you want right out of the roaster.

I haven't found a Sumatran that is best at French Roast. Most are ideal around a Vienna.

That sounds strange since Kivu is a coffee growing region of Zaire (or DRC now).

That's really a stretch. I'm afraid the reference is too loose for me to grasp.

That reminds me. It's about lunch time. Bon apetit.

Reply to
Steve Ackman

On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 13:07:41 -0500, the infamous Steve Ackman scrawled the following:

Ayup.

Kivu Coffee Company out of NY, as provided in Fred Meyer grocery stores here in the PNW.

Reply to
Larry Jaques