Ford F-150

And then grab a piece of steel wool, and light a match to it - let us know what happened.

Reply to
clare

pass.

Reply to
Richard

Don't drop aluminum foil into a beaker of HCL or for that much FeCl. Either will cause explosions (steam) and extreme heat with light.

Mart> >

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

Moral of that story: Don't soak your truck in hydrochloric acid. d8-)

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Aluminum is not the end of the world. Regardless of the purpose, there is simply less of a fire safety question with steel. Search engine inquiries show that.

If only you'd stop missing or diverting from the point that steel, copper and most other metals are in fact looking safer than aluminum (which was the original point).

Reply to
walter_evening

The poster said he was not licensed as an electrician. So that's not even an issue.

Reply to
walter_evening

Go look at your "search engine inquiries" and find us an example of aluminum sheet, plate, wire, or casting burning in air.

You'll be looking for a long time.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

He's mentioned wiring in his work several times in recent months, but without further comment. So, licensed or not, he appears to be an electrician of some sort.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

On Monday, April 20, 2015 at 3:13:55 PM UTC-4, walter snipped-for-privacy@post.com wrote: >>>

But Aluminum is safe enough for use in airplanes and trucks. Safer than most other metals as Titanium, Magnesium, Lithium, beryllium, sodium, potassium and Zinc.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

And hundreds of thousands of aluminum-bodied cars have been built since the 1920s -- Land Rover, Jaguar, Audi, and dozens of specialty makes, from Shelby to Ferrari, Lotus to Maserati.

Their aluminum bodywork does not burn.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

BUT! if one does not use a certain specific CAD program they might burn :-)

Reply to
John B.

That's Ok. Just wait a week, and it will be a different CAD program... d8-)

Reply to
Ed Huntress

That moral has an extension - keep any truck away from HCL.

We have tankers of HCL and other nasty stuff float through town from time to time. The Railroad hauls them and some truckers.

Saw my first liquid Nitrogen - NOx truck here was used to it in San Jose. Also saw a first Oxygen tanker. Both give me willies.

Oxygen if flowing on blacktop will detonate under your feet if you run through a cloud of it flowing on the highway. Shatter your tires...

Fun stuff. Propane cooks and floats. LOX freezes/shatters/bleaches.... and when mixed with tar a dense hydro-carbon - it is fun city. If water is in or under the road, sections (pothole making) well up and here comes movement.

Not as bad as the RED trucks toting Hydrogen.

Mart> >

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

I recommend EZCAD, my first CAD program, all on a 360k floppy and ran on DOS. It really zoomed after I installed an 8087!

David

Reply to
David R. Birch

But was it seamless, integrated, pasteurized and defenestrated? If not, it's not modern and advanced. d8-)

Reply to
Ed Huntress

All that and still too complex for Jon Boy!

David

Reply to
David R. Birch

If it only had pushrods...

Reply to
Ed Huntress

If it isn't Systematic, Hydromatic and Automatic it isn't Greased Lightning:

Jim Wilkins

Ha-ha! Man, oh, man...chromed pushrods and Banquer fins!

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Well, one search engine says that there are about 300,000 car fires each year. Another says there are 183,000 car fires each year. The stats can go on and on, Ed. They really can. I don't care what *you* drive, personally.

But the question here is whether steel is safer or is stuff like Aluminum and Magnesium? I say steel. Now what do you say?

(and just to say: "Flammability of Magnesium" search results are at 289,000 versus Steel's 10)

Reply to
mogulah