Forged Craigslist scam checks

Which is why we shouldn't even be using checks.... ever.

Especially in front of in line. :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

No cash either... only debits via scans of embedded chips will keep the criminals away. ;~)

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

I don't see how, as the account # on the check is faked. In fact, they don't care about the check. They just care about the money you are goin g to wire them.

Reply to
Maxwell Lol

That's why he said "Newer technology combats this"

Reply to
Maxwell Lol

They should be implanted in your right hand or forehead!

RogerN

Reply to
RogerN

That's why *I* said that. :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

In the forehead... that way the retina scan will be able to verify the identify at the same time. ;~)

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

You've never had them scan a check then hand it back to you? Checks are often converted to EFTs now (have been for *years*). Some simply destroy the check (perhaps so you don't get upset) while others will hand it back for you to destroy. The wonders of modern banking. :-(

Reply to
krw

In article , Ignoramus10355 wrote: :On 2009-04-18, john wrote: :> Check with your bank and see if they will do an immediate electronic :> transfer of funds from the other bank of that check. They may charge a :> fee but it would tell you right away if the check is bogus. : :I already know that the check is bogus. I am not sure what is the :point to pay anyone to tell me the same thing.

Perhaps you could find a bank in Nigeria that would cash it.

Poetic justice, and all that.

Reply to
Robert Nichols

Extremely bad idea. The check will clear, and 2-3 weeks later, the banks will realize it was forged. Then they'll come after you to get their money back.

Reply to
Edward A. Falk

Got a TV station in your local market with an "Investigative" reporter?

If they don't want the story, they know who will follow the trail.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I have no doubt that the check is fake, but I wonder about something. The "issuing" bank is Wells Fargo. Why would it take so long for the check to be found forged? Why not a day or two?

Ignoramus3681

... snip

Yeah, that is really frustrating. I have been saved numerous times in the past having a cancelled check in my possession to show payment. One of the reasons I kept my bank account in Texas when I moved to Tucson was because cancelled checks were returned to me. Now, I very seldom get a cancelled check -- most of the checks are scanned and destroyed by the receiver.

If I'd have wanted electronic fund transfer, I'd have set up electronic fund transfer.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

My bank sends me a photo of the checks in small size, but when I go on line to my account, I can print any check, both sides, if needed.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Figures, the Postal Inspectors are hard-asses, them and Customs have powers the cops only wish they had.

Reply to
DGDevin

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 Dan

See Len's answer above.

Why jerk yourself around when the various authorities are in place and, supposedly, protecting us from this kind of fraud. OR are the all standing at airport scanners telling people to take off their shoes?

I got a letter and check from some bunch of clowns in Ontario a few weeks ago. I'm waiting to see if there's any investigation or crossborder cooperation.

Reply to
Charlie Self

">>>

AHHHHHHH!!!!!!! MARK OF THE BEAST!!!!! Yells the devout consertive Christian and all his like minded consertive buddies

Reply to
sweet sawdust

60 days later. The only thing good is cash from the issuing bank.
Reply to
Jim Stewart

From a satellite phone. LOL

JC

Reply to
John R. Carroll

That is a good bank not to have an account with. Some local banks around here refused to open an account for me, since my only income is a monthly VA disability. They were sure I would bounce checks like crazy on that small income. So I left my money in the Credit Union across town, where I've had an account since '97 and never bounced a check.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell